prime rib, 5 bone, 13 pounder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

barrelcooker

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
michigan
So everyone and there moms are cooking this Christmas season.
Ill be smoking haha. Ho ho ho. Mother of prime!
Today i decided ill be eating some prime rib for dinner on xmas. I called the butcher up and he was like "i got you" so i told him what i wanted a 5bone prime rib. Man is this meat awsome looking. I should have asked for a more primal cut with longer bones but they should pull back a little so to look prehistoric. I hope my family of 7 brought there apitites along with presents for me.:grilling_smilie::yahoo: some pics should be along soon.:th_Slab_of_meat: ....waiting

Mmmm.. Cant wait to season this up. Does any1 have any tips on seasoning their standing roast. I was going to do worchtashire salt pepper. galric and onion powders even some lawreys might be in order .
Not sure how much of it to cook there is 7 of us. Its 13lbs.
Should i cut it in half? Its okay to have leftovers but if i can get some steaks cut of before roasting this. Would be nice to try a dry cure on the other half for another day.

Last edited:
I just SPOG it and saran wrap in fridge overnite.. and sometimes a little Montreal {there's one brand I like but cant remember right now}

I seasoned mine on Monday evening!

A little EVOO,& SPOG, light on the salt due to my dads heart.

One difference, is that I wrap in cheese cloth, to let it dry a little.

So everyone and there moms are cooking this Christmas season.
Ill be smoking haha. Ho ho ho. Mother of prime!
Today i decided ill be eating some prime rib for dinner on xmas. I called the butcher up and he was like "i got you" so i told him what i wanted a 5bone prime rib. Man is this meat awsome looking. I should have asked for a more primal cut with longer bones but they should pull back a little so to look prehistoric. I hope my family of 7 brought there apitites along with presents for me.
grilling_smilie.gif
yahoo.gif
some pics should be along soon.
th_Slab_of_meat.gif
....waiting

Mmmm.. Cant wait to season this up. Does any1 have any tips on seasoning their standing roast. I was going to do worchtashire salt pepper. galric and onion powders even some lawreys might be in order .
Not sure how much of it to cook there is 7 of us. Its 13lbs.
Should i cut it in half? Its okay to have leftovers but if i can get some steaks cut of before roasting this. Would be nice to try a dry cure on the other half for another day.
Seasoned up and wrapped it in alum.
Tomarow going to add wishtashire for 12 hours.
Dont know weather to leave bones on during cook or save for another smoke session...
Beautiful looking loin.   Personally, I'd cook it without the bones.  They just get in the way of bark formation on the bottom of the PR and they also inhibit smoke absorption.  If you have the space, throw them on the rack next to the PR.

Looking back at your second post,  13lbs is definitely a bit much for 7 ppl, especially of there are some smaller appetites in that group.  I normally plan about 1lb per person on bone in roasts.  Another way to gauge it is overall length.   For a loin of that height, you could probably go with 3/4 inch or 1 inch slices.  7 slices @ 3/4 inch would be 5.25 inches.  & @ 1 inch would be 7 inches.   Just to be safe, I'd measure out about an 8 inch loin, make the cut and then either slice the remainder for steaks or leave whole to do another PR later.

The yield on that will be about 70%. So 13lb after trim and bones will give around 8 pound of cooked Beef. Me and my Meat and Potatoes Only, Daughter could eat 1 pound no problem. But add all the Sides and Apps, if serving, and that will be a lot of meat. I did 4 bones, 9Lb, for six big eaters and there was enough leftover for Hot Beef Sandwiches another night. There would be no issue cutting a few steaks or if younger kids or light eaters with a variety of sides, cutting in half for another meal...JJ

Thanks guys this helps alot pics will be posted tomarrow durring or after dinner. Even some during the cook. Was going to smoke at 220 until i get 7 degrees within target temp then i was going to sear let rest 5min-15min then slice and serve.
I like to eat hot prime sometimes i dont let my roast for beef rest long. 128 will be a wrap temp i think it will coast to 134. My smoker likes to cook at 250 would that be okay temp to get end to end pink?

Thanks for the idea guys

Last edited:
Thanks guys this helps alot pics will be posted tomarrow durring or after dinner. Even some during the cook. Was going to smoke at 220 until i get 7 degrees within target temp then i was going to sear let rest 5min-15min then slice and serve.
I like to eat hot prime sometimes i dont let my roast for beef rest long. 128 will be a wrap temp i think it will coast to 134. My smoker likes to cook at 250 would that be okay temp to get end to end pink?

Thanks for the idea guys
Barrel,

You might try pulling the PR and letting it rest first, then do the sear.  Slice and serve immediately afterwards if you want.   Reason for this is that when you pull 7 degrees early, the PR will still have residual heat and will continue to cook.   Going right to the sear would add even more heat and you run the risk of overcooking.     Rest it first and let the carryover cooking stop and the PR's temp starts dropping, then sear.

Barrel,

You might try pulling the PR and letting it rest first, then do the sear.  Slice and serve immediately afterwards if you want.   Reason for this is that when you pull 7 degrees early, the PR will still have residual heat and will continue to cook.   Going right to the sear would add even more heat and you run the risk of overcooking.     Rest it first and let the carryover cooking stop and the PR's temp starts dropping, then sear.

Thank you I'm still looking up last minute ideas for tomarrow. I think this is a good one.:hockeyeurbaston:

got my grill all set up and ready to go. prime rib all trimmed up and let it warm up a little before throwing on the smoker. got my italian spices and my beef rub on there. cooking around 250 right now.beef ribs r done

smoked it at 250 until it was 120 it wraped kicked smoker up to 400 until it was 130 and it coasted to 135 sliced with new cooking knives. wonderful dinner
saved a bit for dry aged cowboy steak later.. thanks for the gawks on my pr.:sausage:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky