Prepped Pork Spares

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

placebo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 24, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I just called one of the higher end supermarkets in town, (Nugget) and spoke with the butcher. I asked him if they could prep some spare-ribs for me by trimming them and removing the membrane. He said, "no problem"! So after work I'm gonna pick up 3 racks for this weekend.

I really hate pulling that dang membrane off, too tedious for my big fingers. This will also be the first ribs I've done that didn't come out of a cryovac pac. I'm hoping the quality of the meat will be much better.

I'll do my best to remember to have the camera handy with fresh batteries.

You've got a good butcher.
smile.gif

When I pull the membrane off I grab it with a paper towel. Seems to help.
Good luck with your smoke and take lots of pictures for us....please.

You think theyr'e not pulling the ribs out of a cryovac pack??
Just grab the skin with a paper towel, comes right off, plus their charging you to trim the ribs and keeping all the good parts and charging YOU for it!!
icon_evil.gif

Everyone is going to have so much fun with smoking this holiday weekend, and I have to leave on vacation tomorrow am. The worst part is there won't be a smoker any where near us
PDT_Armataz_01_16.gif
darn!!

Enjoy the holiday weekend everyone
PDT_Armataz_01_26.gif

keith54

That is a good butcher if they'll do that lil' bit of extra work for ya! I've gotten quite the rapport with mine lately, maybe I'll ask him to do that for me too!!

Once the ribs are ready for smokin' are you going to rub them down with anything?

Good luck with the rib smoke!

Yeah I thought about that bubba. I havn't purchased any ribs at this place yet so I'll see what he charges me for them. I have a busy weekend schedule so I'm trying to save as much time as possible. Never tried using a paper towel, I'll try that next time thanks.

I use Jeff's magic rib rub on my ribs. The only thing I do different is I use turbinado sugar instead of brown sugar. Never had a complaint yet.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky