Preparing ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cseymour

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Newburgh NY
HI all,
I made a couple racks of ribs this past weekend using Jeff's rib rub and the 3-2-1 method. The ribs tasted great. My question is, how do you cut the ribs to serve them? I think one of the racks still had the brisket on, would you remove this before you smoke the rack?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Chris

First question, what style cut were they? Okay, that's the only question I can think of. Personally, I cut them down before cooking. It's just easier for me to seperate them when they're done. My butcher cuts them down for me, so I guess I'm lucky like that.

i think you are meaning the "rib tips" as we call them in here... or skirt(i dont really know the proper name but is what i call them..lol)... i guess it is all on how you want them to look... personally i trim them down so that they look like ribs when you cut them...

this pic shows where i usually trim them for personal eating

porkribs1kx8.jpg

Cmon Man,

Don't do that too me when I haven't had breakfast or Lunch yet today. Why dont you just stick some bamboo sticks under my fingernails while your at it!

I'm telling ya! Those ribs are awesome looking, supposed to be raining here Saturday into Sunday so I don't think I'll get to any smoke this weekend...
icon_frown.gif

cseymour, trim up your ribs like teacup shows in his pic. You can smoke the ribtips for snacking on or you can do what I do . I remove the bone and cartilidge and put a rub on the meat and 'em smoke them up for 3 hours, then I dice the meat up and toss it into my Wicked Baked Beans. I also remove the skirt meat (the flap of meat that runs from one side of the ribs to the other) apply the rub and smoke this too only I use this for snacking one while everything else is still in the smoker.

I often cut off the tips and save it for sausage meat. While the meat smoking I can trim and grind the rest with some butt trimmings away you go!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky