Potato Salad

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Here ya go! It's good stuff.

3 or 4 lbs potatoes
1/2 cup real mayonnaise (fat free doesn't work in this recipe)
3 TBSP sour cream (same as above, they separate into an oily mess)
1/2 lb crumbled crisp bacon
1 red apple diced
1 small can 2oz chopped black olives
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
4 TBSP olive oil
2 cloves garlic minced
salt to taste
1TSP black pepper

boil potatoes until tender but still firm about 15 mins. drain and let cool. Cut potatoes lengthwise into 1 inch spears. place them in a 9x13 baking dish.

Prepare marinade by whisking together white wine vinegar, olive oil, pepper, salt and garlic. Reserve a tablespoon or two and pour the rest over potatoes. Turn to coat, cover them and put in the refrigerator to chill. They can keep for a day or two before eating at this point.

When ready to serve remove from fridge. Arrange spears on a serving platter. Core and chop apple. Add to reserved marinade. Stir in olives, bacon and onion. Spoon over potatoes and serve.

Good luck and good eating!

Oh crap! Sorry........

You wisk it in with the olive oil and stuff to make the marinade.
icon_redface.gif

By the way...I always make a bit extra marinade. Everyone really likes it and there never seems to be enough "sauce".

That's a really interesting, but nice recipe Rivet.
At first I thought it was going to be a hot potato salad but when I saw that it wasn't I was truly intrigued.

Well thanks, that's really nice!

If you arrange it on a bed of lettuce leaves with maybe a stuffed tomato in the middle it looks really darn good. Lot's of ooh's and aah's for not a lot of work. I made it once with a store bought cheeseball in the center and you woulda thought I was a chef
icon_mrgreen.gif
. It does look real pretty though. Tastes good too.

Just as a side note to Rivets' recipe, try brushing an onion & whole head of garlic after removing the head, with evoo and put it out on the smoker. Nothin' says yum like smoked onion & garlic when added to potato salad. Try it, you'll like it.

Here's another recipe. My wife makes this one and I really enjoy it. Try them both!

Jean’s Potato Salad

Ingredients:

4 Med. Size (slightly larger than a golf ball) potatoes
4 Boiled eggs chopped
1/3 Cup Onions chopped
¼ - 1/3 Cup chopped bell pepper
Mayonnaise to desired consistency
Salt and pepper to taste
½ Teaspoon sugar … if desired

To Prepare:

Cut potatoes into very small cubes and drop into boiling salted water. Return to boil. Reduce heat to medium and boil gently. Note …. It will not take long since cubes are small …. .Check often. Drain and cool potatoes. Mix all ingredients adding mayonnaise until desired consistency. Better if allowed to sit in refrigerator to let flavors blend.

Serves about 4

Teacup's "Baked Red-Potato Salad"
here is my potato salad... like any recipe, you can very it to taste and appearance...

3lbs red potatos, boiled and cubed
1 16oz container sour cream, none of that low fat crap
1/2 cup mayo or miracle whip
1 Tbls garlic powder
1/4 cup onion, minced finely
2 oz bacon bits, yes the real ones
1 tsp Tony C's or Zatarains Cajun Spice
1/4 cup freshly chopped chives
1/4 cup celery (i dont use it, missus doesnt like)
1 Tbls dill pickle relish
fresh cracked pepper
cheddar cheese (optional, i dont use it either)
  • boil and cube your potatoes.
  • mix wet ingredients with the spices in a separate bowl.
  • combine potatoes,celery,onions,wet ingredients
  • stir in bacon
  • sprinkle top with a little more bacon,chives and cheddar cheese
Good when warm, Better when you eat 3 hours later, Great refridgerated overnight

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the responses. Can't wait to try some of these. I love potato salad and it goes so well with BBQ.

That's an excellent idea! I can't wait for this summer to come, once the tomatoes are ready I'm going to try that recipe with the bed of lettuce and a stuffed tom. My parents love to eats healthy, and organic (which the garden will be) and on top of it my Pops is a vegetarian.
I know, sacrilege! But He does eat fish so at least I can smoke that and veggies. But doing the salad that way, sounds great! Thanks for suggesting it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky