Pot smokers do it better.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mdboatbum

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 22, 2011
Washington, DC
Tamale pot smokers that is.

Went to the cabin this weekend and smoked a pork butt. I'll skip the crap about recipes etc and get right to the photos.

To say I'm pleased would be the understatement of the year. Did some burgers and chicken thighs too, but this was the weekend highlight. 300˚ average for 6 and a half hours, no foil, no spritz. I was gonna foil at the 5 hour mark but it was already 180˚ so I let it ride. Took it off it at the 6:30 mark on the nose with an IT ranging from 193˚-203˚ Let it rest for an hour and a half the cooler/towel setup, then pulled it. Pulled easily enough, but wasn't mush. It was the most moist and tender PP I've ever made. 

Rub was basic, just salt, pepper, sugar, paprika, cumin cayenne, onion, garlic, ginger, cinnamon and allspice. I think. Might have thrown in a little citric acid just for some zip.

Finishing sauce was 2/3 cider vinegar, 1/3 ginger ale, some of the rub, a squirt of ketchup and a sprinkle of powdered ginger. Didn't measure, I'd forgotten to make some and I was in a hurry.

Thanks for looking!

Forgot to add I used Stubbs' briquettes and pecan wood. And the butt was about 8lbs.

Last edited:
Having attended the University of Oregon, I agree!! Pot Smokers do do it better!!

Nice looking Smoke MD. Glad you're able to smoke again!

Mdboatbum, If you are new to smoking, I highly suggest you sign up for Jeff's E-Course on smoking. It helps alot when you are just starting out. I see you have a remote meat thermometer, that will make all your mistakes deliciously easy to get rid of.

Wait... wait.... Mdboatbum.... Hmmm.... don't we have someone with that last name here on the site already?

Hmmmmm....... seems he was a great fella with a carmera.

<Chuckles>

Nice looking Butt! Glad to see ya smokin 'em up again. You need to get a brisket in there for this month's competition.

Haha!! Thanks guys! And Foam, I do need the refresher course, it's been a while.  I'll have to see if I can find my pdf's.

It almost makes ya laugh when you read  butt threads ...Do i inject, do i spritiz, When do i foil?  I can't keep the temp at 225!  LOL....on and on and on.   

A butt, a pot, some briquettes, and some smoking wood then 7 hours later deeeeliciousness!!!

It almost makes ya laugh when you read  butt threads ...Do i inject, do i spritiz, When do i foil?  I can't keep the temp at 225!  LOL....on and on and on.   

A butt, a pot, some briquettes, and some smoking wood then 7 hours later deeeeliciousness!!!

True, but think back to your first. After reading all the different things on the internet, I was a wreck. Then I realized they're pretty hard to kill, and hotter means I get to eat sooner. And I firmly believe a faster cook leads to less moisture loss.

Looks awesome. But aren't you the one that said he always foils. Lol

True, but think back to your first. After reading all the different things on the internet, I was a wreck. Then I realized they're pretty hard to kill, and hotter means I get to eat sooner. And I firmly believe a faster cook leads to less moisture loss.
I gotta say I don't think i ever really bought into the foiling, spritzing,  225* etc...nonsense and that was when that's all there was. One time i did ribs 3-2-1 low temp and they were the worst I've ever done. lol

I was more of a maverick and wanted to experiment on my own.   

Oh and YES a faster cook means more moisture!  It makes sense, don't know why more people can't grasp that concept. 

Last edited:
Looks awesome. But aren't you the one that said he always foils. Lol
I'm the one who said he always foils ribs for a brief period. And like I said, I'd intended to foil this butt to get it past the stall, but it turned out it wasn't necessary. I'm also the one who says if you believe your way is the only way, you'll never learn anything. I'm more than happy to post my mistakes as well as those cooks that succeeded, but didn't go as planned. This one was intended to be hot and fast with a couple hours of foil until it got past the stall, then back into the smoke. It never stalled so I never foiled.

Hey Boat Bum!

Good to see you posting with pictures again. Hope nobody relieves you of the pot smoker  (like the last smoker). You are an important contributor here and your pictures are always welcome. Look forward to your future posts.

I'm the one who said he always foils ribs for a brief period. And like I said, I'd intended to foil this butt to get it past the stall, but it turned out it wasn't necessary. I'm also the one who says if you believe your way is the only way, you'll never learn anything. I'm more than happy to post my mistakes as well as those cooks that succeeded, but didn't go as planned. This one was intended to be hot and fast with a couple hours of foil until it got past the stall, then back into the smoke. It never stalled so I never foiled.

Hey I was just jerking your chain.

I have found cooking hot that there is no stall.

Hey I was just jerking your chain.

I have found cooking hot that there is no stall.
I know.! I was watching the news about Robin Williams and was distracted, so I guess I sounded a little deadpan. And you're right, hotter blasts it right thru the stall.

It's great seeing people go back to the simplicity of cooking.  No ATC's, no foil just meat, wood and fire.  Not that it did't really suck at the time but someone lifting the mini from you was a blessing because now you have a better one!    

So now you've got it in for the stall........ Thats when all the magic happens inside the meat! Thats like taking away Hendrick's guitar and handing him a microphone and then raising the curtain.
There you go again Kevin!!
The same magic happens at 300, it just happens a lot faster.

Reactions: pc farmer
There you go again Kevin!!
The same magic happens at 300, it just happens a lot faster.
I should also add I'm a little biased as I don't have the luxury of being able to do long smokes very often. I'm always trying to come up with ways to cut the time down. I'm sure a 16 + hour butt would have a more complex flavor and better bark, but for me the shorter, hotter method will just have to work.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky