Pot Roast In The Smoker W/Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ronp

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 27, 2008
All this talk of chuck lately made me hungry. So, I picked up some on the way home.

I am going to rub with a little salt and pepper and smoke it to probably 160" and put in the pan foiled with the vegies, mushrooms and some sliced Vadalia onions and some beef stock. Still debating when to finish as I don't want pulled beef, just that tender Braised beef my Mom always made. Then I'll make a thick gravy.

More to come as I get started. Oh, I am going to sear it also for a little added flavor.

Thanks for watching.

Thanks Kelly.

The sear!!

Into the smoker at 110" after sear. Made some aujus with beef stock sliced onions, carrots, and red potatoes and red wine.

My helper already lookin' for me to either drop or spill something.

About 1 1/2 hours and it is up to 148 already. Pretty fast.

Couldn't resist, nice and rare but chewy as expected.

More to come.

Thanks for watching.

Looking good Ron will be watching for updates!!

You really know how to hurt a guy... but it's good lookin' so far.

Thanks guys.

Here it is at 165".

On top of the vegies. There still not done.

I foiled it and it's now at 180'

May just set the MES at 190' and go to bed for the braising.

It just hit 190' and I am going to bed.

Thanks for watching.

daang ron that looks good!!!! great idea again, pot roast on the grill??? why not!!!! great pix and post as usual, great job!!!

I just decided to set the MES at 180 and go to bed, and hopefully not have pulled beef.

Oh. I am still eating the last of the cured chicken thighs tonite btw.

Take care my friend.

Thanks Meowey.

Here it is this am.

The meat is not pulling material at least I don't think so at this time and that is the way I wanted it. The vegies are fork tender. I am chilling in fridge and tonight I will skim any grease and use the drippings for gravy and post the final results.

At this point I don't know if it will be any good. Not sure what gravy would work with this, maybe just the au jus? We'll see later.

Thanks for watching.

Ron

Hey Ron that sure looks good. Have you ever used the liquid in the pan to make gravy. Just take some flour or corn starch and mix with water till smooth. Mix it in to the pan liquid and bring to a boil. The gravy will be as thick as it is going to get after it boils. If not thick enough, just add more flour & water. Good luck and try not to eat too much (yeah right).

Looks fantastic, love pot roast and veggies, how did it turn out?

I like deglasing the drippings in the pan and making gravy from that.

Outstanding
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Hi Norrell, I always use corn starch, Wondra Flour, or Tone's Gravy mix in a pinch, it has some good thickeners and some flavor.

I'm still working on the gravy as we speak. I'll post a plated shot here soon.

Thank you!

Thanks Dave, I appreciate it.

YUMO! Is all I can say. I thought this AM I wouldn't like it at all. I am never impressed the morning after it seems. When I got home wife said it was good. Whew, I was wondering what I would do with it as I didn't think she would like it.

I did have some concern with the drippings, they were kinda, uhh, I guess maybe the word is twangy, so I added some Tone's brown gravy mix to thicken and flavor, then the wife said it was salty and she loves salt. YIKES. I pulled out a little trick from the restaurant and aded more water and some mashed potato flakes to tone down the salt. IT WORKED!! Hooray!

I think my Mom would be proud is she was here to see it, bless her heart, as she was my teacher and didn't even know it.

As always everyone, thanks for watching the show.

Ron

Wow Ron, that looks awesome! My wife was just saying that she would like some pot roast with carrots and potatoes. I am sure she would like what you just cooked up. I think i will probably have to give that a try. Thanks for the qview.

That pot roast turned out incredible!
I am not a fan of pot roast, but I am sure gonna try that! Talk about comfort food! Ok, Ron, what can you do with mac and cheese..???
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

BBQG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky