Post Thanksgiving Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dana

Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
Western North Carolina
I thought something besides turkey would be good for today, so I picked up a ~12 pound packer cut brisket when I was at Sam's last week.  We've never trimmed a brisket before, but I think my son & I managed an OK job last night.  Based on what I've read here, we are doing our first one with just salt & pepper.  I was planning to put it on at 5 am, but when the dog wanted out just after 3:30 am I decided to go ahead and put it on.  The outside temp was 22 deg.  The smoker was at 225 shortly before 4 am.  I didn't get any photos 'cause it was quite dark (and cold!).  I've had it at 225 since 4 am.  Just decided to take a peek and see if it had shrunk enough for me to unfold it (my Masterbuilt Dual Fuel isn't quite wide enough to put it in flat and I didn't want to separate the point at least for this first try.)  I snapped a photo while I had the smoker open...

I love Brisket and cannot lie... that looks Marvelous , Dana , and hope you had fun doing it... was a fun trip , Huh
icon_question.gif

Have fun and . . .

The brisket was a bit of a mixed success.  One end of the flat, probably the end that was curled under, was a bit over done while the rest was perfect.  We also found the point to be a bit fatty for our tastes when sliced.  Next time I'll separate it part way through and cook it longer for pulling so I can remove more of the fat.  All in all, I was satisfied for the first attempt.  It had a very nice smoke ring on one side - I didn't flip it during smoking and I assume that the reason it was only on one side??  - and the flavor was excellent.  When my wife tried it she said, with a hint of question in her voice, "It tastes like barbecue"  She's used to me taking her places that serve eastern or western NC pork barbecue and I guess wasn't expecting beef to have a similar flavor :-)  

It's all gone except for a few slices that look like they came form the point and I'll most like have them for supper this evening.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky