Post Counts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TulsaJeff

Smoke Whisperer
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
Jun 28, 2005
Tulsa, OK
I feel like there are some folks that are way too concerned about post counts. Post counts are not in indication of "expertness".

I don't put much stock in "experts" anyway.

I would personally rather see a non expert be extremely helpful and share what he knows rather than someone who has been cooking for 25 years be critical of those who are trying to be helpful.

These statements are not aimed at anyone in particular.. just an attitude that I see coming in the forum here and there and it needs to be addressed.

I have removed the post count from the main post view for now, however you can still see it if you go to a persons profile.

I am not going to spend a lot of time elaborating on this.. if you are concerned about your post count then don't be.

Let's get back to being concerned about being the most helpful, friendly, informative site online.

We still are these things but I feel that there is an attitude brewing that has the potential of knocking us off our "high horse" if we don't deal with it now.

We are all adults and if you are guilty of allowing this "I'm an expert and you're not" mentality to creep into your brain then take care of it now.

Not to step on anyone's toes.. but a true expert will never say he is such IMHO.

Most true experts I have met didn't even know they were an expert.. they were just darn good at what they did but extremely humble about it.

Once again, I am not getting on to anyone.. I just want to steer the forum back to the right path as it seems to be veering a little in some areas.

Have a great day everyone!
PDT_Armataz_01_20.gif

Bravo! I have seen that become a factor in other forums. Its not the number of posts but the quality of them that counts. I will say this much. This forum is great and I am honored to be talking smoke with all of you!

That's exactly right. Being helpful and having fun doing it is the way to go. Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

I'm a STRONG believer in quality over quantity. A bazillion posts of drivel just take up space. No one knows something about everything. They are trumped by one post containing solid information that helps someone produce better offerings from their smoker. That gets my respect.
I am also a STRONG believer in having an OPEN MIND and "thinking outside the box", not afraid to try new things. I'm here to learn anything I can to make me a better smoker. I am willing to share anything I can to help anyone else become the same. Be advised, my likes may not match yours.
rolleyes.gif

I have met some really fine people through this site and had some really fine times with them, hope to meet more.
I'm not here to watch a few posters monopolize the forums or to read old tired jokes. (Not to say I don't enjoy a GOOD joke.) The forum moderators need to monitor those things.
Bottom line - it's all about SMOKING folks!
I'm no expert, but I'll put my Q next to yours.
icon_cool.gif

Ditto to what Vlap said - I've been really pushed away from some brewing forums that I used to frequent... still got a few precious pals that I met on them, and we still email a lot, but the whole 'expert' thing was blown out of proportion - and the post count thing got really silly.

Thanks Jeff, I think it was a wise decision.

Post count schmost count, who gives a hoot?

Seriously though, I've yet to be on a forum where this hasn't happened. Thanks for the reality check there Jeff.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Where's the grub? I'm hungry!

Good choice Jeff!

Although I have been very entertained at times, I am really here to learn and occasionally to help others do the same.

I never paid much attention to 'em, but I have to the rep points, and now that I read the system on those, I like 'em more. I have not felt qualified to give 'em, but actually, I'm the one who should be...for all the help I get. Think I'm goin' back and giving all those nice folk who commented on my ongoing salmon a point right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky