Possible to convert?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gpa21

Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
SCF Wisconsin
So i have always loved taking my time smoking with a stick burning side box, and appreciating the outcome that much more...
However, now im thinking i may want to switch to pellet so i dont have to monitor the smoker quite so much. Thus freeing up time to do other things in the smoking process.
My question is... has anyone converted a stick burning side box smoker to a pellet smoker? If so please share?
I love my 3 in 1 grill and really dont want to have to buy a seperate smoker when i already have one i like, but want to improve on.
TIA

As cheap as pellet smokers are you wouldn't save any $ buying a burner to putting your stick burner imo, $300 for a basic pellet smoker or somewhere close and some have a 5 year warranty, its nice to be able to cook with more than 1 grill/smoker

Reactions: gpa21
I felt the same way, sold off my lower end stick burner and bought a pellet spitter.
Plug and play BBQ, fill it and forget it, runs 12 hours without filling.
BUT, the flavor is gone and I mean GONE.
If you are addicted to post oak brisket, you will find yourself searching for ways to get more smoke flavor into the meat.
I've tried a Kamado and a pellet rig with no joy so I tried a Masterbuilt 560 and while not exactly the same smoke flavor profile as a stick burner, it comes dang close AND is set it and forget it like a pellet burner.

Reactions: gpa21 and Alphonse
Adapting any cooker to a pellet machine is pretty simple. Cut a square hole and mount a temp sensor. But the adapter kits cost more than some dedicated pellet grills. E.g. if you're cramped for space, at this price you can can afford to throw out the grill and just harvest the pellet parts...

Reactions: gpa21
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky