Possible New Smoker??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fireguy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Husker Country
Guys, have been searching the MSF for a few days ...
Am looking at a Brinkmann smoke n pit at wally for $138..
Chargriller looks good too, but Brink has more cooking area...
I have never had a smoker other than Elec. and am looking at size and Cheap more than anything. With mods to the SNP will I be happy as a first time Charcoal / wood smoke? Plus I thought it seemed pretty solid in comparison to others in that $ range... Any advice good or bad on this or the others????
Thanks Guys

I think you can buy any of those, or a charbroil like mine, and modify any of them to be very usable,economical, and make some decent/good grub. The main thing to look for IMO is what you can afford,what you want to cook on it/how many people, and how you want to fuel it. If you want to burn logs, I doubt you will be happy with any of them cookers/smokers. But if you can get used to charcoal( lump is best), you will enjoy the experience for less than 200 bucks(including the mods).
You will find a whole lot of different kinds of smokers being used here, and everyone is proud of how they use them, and what they cook on them(most of the time), so get something that you will enjoy, and don't go broke doing it. If you decide that you want to continue playing with fire, then you may want to graduate to a larger/heavier model. I am doing just that real soon. I have had my charbroil silver for a couple years, and struggled with it until I came here. These fine folks were very helpfull getting me on the right track, and I really appreciate it. I also try to remember to help others in the same way, I am sure you will too!

I saw the same at wally-$138 also-dang if it didn't make me go back and look. I useing a couple ecb's and have a 80 gal. ss tank in the works-i passed it up for now.

I have the Charbroiler Smoking Pro with the side fire box, I think it or the Brinkman are a good inexpensive choices to be introduced to charcoal and/or stick burners to see if tending the temperature consantly is something you would like to invest more into in the future.

I just purchased mine last year and can say, after modifications so far I still feel challenged but it is something I still want to continue as a alternative smoking method. I feel the taste is more authentic to smoking in some foods..... in my humble opinion.

My brother has a Brinkman......but, I seriously doubt he has the patience to mod it and figure out how to get the best from it.......maybe I should "take it off his hands" for a while and play with it........
biggrin.gif

Wouldn't he be freaked when it came back all modded out and ready to rock.....LOL

Bad part of that idea is, I'd hafta teach him how to use it the RIGHT way......
eek.gif

I've been looking at a new one lately as well (currently using a Big Chief)
which I use to get smoke to the meat & have been finishing on my propane Weber grill . I am really leaning towards electric for the simplicity & "plug in" & go factor......I grill A LOT & have run out a couple of times (poor planning on my part) even with 4 propane tanks typically on hand.......I typically don't have time to "watch" a smoker for X amount of hours, so somehow I fell electrict "may be" safer? INPUT?

Those are a bit flimsy for me. My three smokers cost me under $60 plus $20 in gas to go get one of them. So for eighty dollars I have three great smokers. And, now I'm in the process of shopping for another one. Bigger and better, a bandera type smoker, and making one of my own using this plan with a few alterations.

http://www.compuvices.com/smoker.html

Thanks for all the input.. I am however thinking about trying the charcoal/ Horizonta type.. I already have the Elec. one I built which I love most of the time (except when I am to Blame for mess ups)..
I am ready ro take on the challenge and on my off days I have plenty of time to baby-sit the smoker once in a while.. Thanks guys, and any more input is welcome it may be a 3 weeks till I get to buying one.

I been using a GOSM for a few years now with excellent results and using propane takes a lot of guess work out of the equation. But lately have been getting the itch to try a stick burner but at this point don't want to lay down the cash for a Lang. So I'm looking at the same things you are and with the mods posted here I think it will be an effective piece of equipment for getting introduce into the world of charcoal and wood smoking at a reasonable price. Then if all is good down the road I may take the leap.

Lou

exactly what I have been thinking, Boy great minds really do think alike..
I also think you cant possibly have too many smokers..I would like to have one of each before I die..

I have had my Char Griller for a few years now and really like it. Got it from Lowes for use as a grill, then a month later the wife got me the firebox for birthday pressie.
Since i done the most recommended mods it is definitely a better beast to use. It does take a bit of baysitting, but isn't that part of the fun. I know it is for me.
If you decide to go the charcoal way, i would recomend the weber charcoal chimney too. It takes a good amount of charcoal and works real good.

I have the Wally Brinkman SNP. It definitely will require some mods. If you go that route, I'd suggest:

Charcoal Basket Mod and make sure its raised up a bit.
Extend the Chimney to the Grate
Add Temperature Gauges (Comes with a bobo Brinkman Ideal/Warm/Hot gauge)
Put in a Baffle

I've done everything but the Baffle on mine so far. There is about a 50 degree difference between the different ends of the grill. I'm not really a metal working guy so I'm still trying to figure out how I'll do the baffle. Once I figure out how to do a baffle, hopefully that will even out the temperatures in my cooking chamber a bit better.

Simon, i had the same prob with the char griller. A cheap way to get a baffle without having to cut sheet metal is to use an oven liner. Think i got two for $3.99.
Now i know that it works i'm trying to design a permanent fixture, but for now the oven liner works just fine
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

I agree with ya Mossy. Both in the learning-especially if one plans on stepping up again to a true stick unit- and the flavor. For the money you really can't miss with that unit. And for the education, it's CHEEP tuition LOL!

Simon, I have one too. I just modified it this week, and I'm going to try it out tomorrow. I bought some 10 inch aluminum flashing at Lowe's and rolled it into a cylinder (it already came like that) and shoved it up into my smoke stack to lower it to grate level. Then I cut a piece about 10 inches square and used it for a baffle. I crimped the top edge over the ledge that the charcoal grate hangs on in your firebox. I think it's going to work great. I'll let you know after this weekend. All told, I had $16 and 10 minutes in those modifications, counting purchasing a pair of tin snips to cut the aluminum with.

Hey Guys and Gals, I just have to Share my excitement with you all...
After much thought, back and forth on what to get, I finally bought it today... Happy to tell ya I bought the "Chargriller Pro Deluxe".... Just Put it together and am planning on doing a couple mods and seasoning it this week... Then for the trial run on Saturday... Country style ribs, and a deer loin, and what ever else I can think up this week. Man I am Stoked... It will be my first try at charcoal any words of advice would be welcome...
icon_mrgreen.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky