portable wind break for a GOSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kennymn

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 22, 2006
ALBERTVILLE MN
To eliminate the wind factor with my smoking I built this shelter out of 1 & 1/2 sheets of cheap plywood and 8 - 4 " hinges . For the extension on the exhaust I used a piece of 6 " heater duct pipe . After it was built I tried it out the next day , the wind was blowing alittle with gusts about 8 - 10 mph. The inside temp was a constant 220 -230 degrees and the smoker control valve was on low and the gas valve was opened a crack . ( on one pic you can see the smoke was horizontal ) When your done with it folds up to only 3 " wide for easy storeage .
8ca58b74_vbattach12359.jpg

25da4ad3_vbattach12358.jpg

f8894689_vbattach12357.jpg

35696adf_vbattach12356.jpg

Very clever Kennymn, like the idea of the easy fold down and storage. Between the insulation on the smoker and the windbreak, you can probably get close to 40-50 hours on a tank!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

That sure does look like a good snow bird mod. If you made the cover durable enough to handle staying outdoors in the weather then you would have a permanent cover for your smoker and supplies.

Is there a GOSM somewhere under all of that?

I was planning to make something similar, but with four sides. Using hinges to make it foldable is an excellent consideration. I was going to coat the exterior faces with a water repellant coating to handle this year's predicatably unpredictable weather.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky