pork tenderloin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

piker

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Barnwell Alta
Here is picture of a loin I just brined in 2qts. of water,1/3 cup of salt,1/4 cup of sugar,1 tps. of instacure,1 tps of pickling spice,1 tps of whole cloves. Then I cooked it in new water @ 170 degs. until an i.t. of 160 was reached. very tasty and mild but will strenghten the brine and smoke the next time

As you can see I kept the water at 170 deg f and water boils at 212 deg. F. So you figure the math

So you poached a pork loin?
What people are wondering is why it went in the hot water at all.
I know for some Asian and Mexican dishes they boil pork, even pork loin but they either put it in soups or eat it with a sauce.
Also if you brine and then let it sit in water or even cook it in water then it will pull out some of the flavors you added during the brining process.

I was aware of all the things I did. I was not in a position to smoke it and as I had found a website with the instructions and I followed it completely and to be honest it was the tenderest moistest and best tasting ham I ever had. Bear in mind the store brought ones around here leave a lot to be desired. It leaves room for experimenting in the near future. I just happen to have a loin thawing right now and going over all the recipes I can find. I do not use a pork leg as I do not have large enough space to brine it but i am working on that also.

Me too! Great Job!

But I thought this forum was called "Smoking Meat Forums"
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Just Ribbin Ya a little! Looks like a good practice run to see what kind of flavors the brine gives the meat. I look forward to seeing pics of the Smoked variation next time. Keep it up!

Thats a loin, not a tenderloin, big difference, glad it turned out for ya either way!

Yeah, i wasn't knockin ya at all, just had me confused with your first post. Heck, I dont care if its cooked on the pavement, as long as it taste good!!!!!

Same here.
How long did ya leave it in the brine? Was the clove flavor noticeable after is was done cooking? and how long did it take to cook at 170?

In the brine for 4 days at 38 deg. and then poaching for just under 2 hrs. The colour was pink all the way thru. Sat overnite in frig and then out sliced and ate. The flavours were very muted but still noticable. The website I used said if you smoke a loin this size it would be hard and dry depending upon amt of smoke and how long. the two ways were cold smoking for 4 to 5 hrs and then poaching and finishing it in he smoker where the problems could happen. I am unsure what to do with the next one. thks Piker

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky