Pork Steak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbnice1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
Anyone ever try the 321 rib method for pork steaks?
I have made them a lot of different ways and most are good to great. I am trying them today 3 on smoke, 3-5 wrapped depending on tenderness, then 1 to set some sauce on them. Seems like it should work pretty well since it works on ribs.

Reactions: JLeonard
I have. Instead of foil I just put them in a pan. Turned out great. I did some pork steak a few weeks ago. Did not put in pan just smoked then sauced a few times. Great as will.

Reactions: JLeonard
20191228_092602.jpg
20191228_075505.jpg
20191228_084926.jpg
20191228_135801.jpg
20191228_135824.jpg

I smoke mine a couple hours at 225 then foil until they are probe tender. The way I was taught to do pork steaks was when you can stick a plastic forks in the meat and twirl it it's done. 6hrs is probably gonna be way to long. I'd shoot for around 4hr. These are 5/8in thick cuts from a bone in shoulder

LOL Jake thats how mine turned out. there was no way to put them back on the grill to set sauce. they were falling apart. so I just drained off juice and dumped them into a foil pan removed the bone and added a bunch of sause and covered and back on the smoker at 160F till we are ready to eat. They look really good. And I like my pork fall apart so I think this worked out!

I rediscovered how much I love ribs since I got this new smoker and I cant wait till dinner time to try these steaks.

Reactions: JLeonard and TNJAKE
I'm in line with TNJAKE TNJAKE and treat thicker pork steaks more like a butt than ribs. I start off with barbecue temps, and almost always use a wrapped finish. I don't take them to a pullable state, but they are tender enough where the individual muscle groups come apart easily. That said, they are pretty good grilled if they are 1/2", and a good choice for a hearty breakfast.
34TWRbP.jpg

ok so yes was very very tender but dried out a bit since it sat for like 3 hours. I expected it to take longer then ribs and it actually took a little less. Will try again and record pics with the next attempt.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky