Pork Steak Anyone?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
We really like pork steaks and actually just had a butt cut into 3/4" thick ones. Not much of that narrow strip of muscle under the fat cap, but all the other muscles are there...

Wow! Those are beautiful! Man, all the cuts I remember being cheap are so expensive now and thanks to this forum I’ve also learned how to make them tastier than how my family cooked, high heat on skillet with lard or high heat on grill. For my education do you do those on low to medium heat to pull temp like a butt then sear? Also, I’ve never cooked on an egg. When I’ve done indirect on my kettles I usually fire up some charcoal in a chimney then dump on the heat side for a high heat direct sear. Does moving to the egg do the same or is there something different ?

Must have been a big sale on Pork Steaks last week.😀 Those are beautiful!...JJ

For my education do you do those on low to medium heat to pull temp like a butt then sear? Also, I’ve never cooked on an egg. When I’ve done indirect on my kettles I usually fire up some charcoal in a chimney then dump on the heat side for a high heat direct sear. Does moving to the egg do the same or is there something different ?

Thanks for the kind words. I don't think there is a wrong way to cook a pork steak, but you do have to me mindful that they require some time to cook tender (verses something like a pork chop or medallions of tenderloin.

I started these on my kettle opposite the charcoal basket mainly because I'm still testing out the charcoal basket that has a water reservoir. It's the only cooker I have that gives me a water option by design, and the coals actually cause the water to boil. The other reason was I wanted to cook them in the 250° range for a few hours. I can cook direct over the charcoal basket, but there is essentially no distance from the grate to the charcoal in the basket.

I switched over to my Egg because I did want to finish them direct... but I have a grate extender ring which gives me about 12" from the coals to the grate. This 'raised direct' set-up lets the fats drip onto the coals for more flavor while slowly browning the meat. If you move them to a foil boat or wrap for a while pork steaks approach a pullable level of tenderness, but cooked naked they stay sliceable, but very tender.

Reactions: bauchjw
Thanks for the kind words. I don't think there is a wrong way to cook a pork steak, but you do have to me mindful that they require some time to cook tender (verses something like a pork chop or medallions of tenderloin.

I started these on my kettle opposite the charcoal basket mainly because I'm still testing out the charcoal basket that has a water reservoir. It's the only cooker I have that gives me a water option by design, and the coals actually cause the water to boil. The other reason was I wanted to cook them in the 250° range for a few hours. I can cook direct over the charcoal basket, but there is essentially no distance from the grate to the charcoal in the basket.

I switched over to my Egg because I did want to finish them direct... but I have a grate extender ring which gives me about 12" from the coals to the grate. This 'raised direct' set-up lets the fats drip onto the coals for more flavor while slowly browning the meat. If you move them to a foil boat or wrap for a while pork steaks approach a pullable level of tenderness, but cooked naked they stay sliceable, but very tender.

🤣, if you’d have tried my Dads pork steaks you may think differently! I was pretty old when I discovered pork is supposed to taste like something besides char and/or grease. I love my Pops, but……🤣

thank you for the info, that’s very helpful! Lots of pork steaks here recently and I’m going to search for some here. I’d also looked at that charcoal basket a few months ago, but dismissed it as another toy I probably shouldn’t buy. May be worth a try, but Im not sure if the problem with direct sear is a deal breaker.
Thank you again!

🤣, if you’d have tried my Dads pork steaks you may think differently! I was pretty old when I discovered pork is supposed to taste like something besides char and/or grease. I love my Pops, but……🤣

thank you for the info, that’s very helpful! Lots of pork steaks here recently and I’m going to search for some here. I’d also looked at that charcoal basket a few months ago, but dismissed it as another toy I probably shouldn’t buy. May be worth a try, but Im not sure if the problem with direct sear is a deal breaker.
Thank you again!
The direct sear on this kettle set-up is just a little foreign to me. The grill has some amazing features. The video below (around the 6-minute mark) demonstrates a cold grate spin and sear method. Check it out.

Reactions: bauchjw
The direct sear on this kettle set-up is just a little foreign to me. The grill has some amazing features. The video below (around the 6-minute mark) demonstrates a cold grate spin and sear method. Check it out.

Wow, that is really cool. I’ve never thought of that and had no clue that was a feature. Oh man. I’m saving up to get a big stick burner. I’m wondering if I should just go with more cool patio sized stuff instead. That looks like a lot of fun to cook with.

Wow, that is really cool. I’ve never thought of that and had no clue that was a feature. Oh man. I’m saving up to get a big stick burner. I’m wondering if I should just go with more cool patio sized stuff instead. That looks like a lot of fun to cook with.
The SNS charcoal baskets are sized to fit Weber kettles, and I believe a couple of other grills. One version has a removable water reservoir, on the the older version it's permanent. When they came out with the SNS kettle they really put some thought in the features, and temperature control is excellent for a kettle. I'm having a lot of fun using it, but the real test will come this winter. I did buy the cover..... it's the white lump to the right of my BGE. :emoji_laughing:
Qj0DUK3.jpg

Saw your comment in the other thread . Missed this somehow .
Those are some nice cuts right there , and they look fantastic .
Nice to have options too . I like the shift method .
Nice work .

Those look Awesome, ThirdEye!!!----Like.
You and Chopsaw are making me jealous!!
I've been trying to get some Pork Steaks for months, and my Store hasn't had any lately!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky