Pork Spare Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin stang

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
Paducah, Kentucky
Should the ribs be place in the smoker meat side down and then flipped to meat side up after a certain time? Or, do they need to be bone side down for the 3-2-1 duration? Which method will produce the most tender ribs?

SS

I like mine bone down so the meat juices don't run off as much. To me they seem juicer that way, but I'm sure we have folks that do bone up also.

I know a guy that does them bone up and pokes holes in between bones to pour juice into.

Debi

I definitely do bone down. Remember to remove the membrane and dry rub the day before. Let the ribs warm up on the counter before you smoke them. I usually do a 3, 2, ½ time for loin backs. Longer in the first two stages if spare ribs or St Louis style. I spray about every hour with water and vinegar about ½ and ½ using a spray bottle.

Regards,
Aubrey Page
------------
OTBS #007

I did mine last night and tried spraying with apple juice (forgot who susgested it - sorry) and it was great. Adds a bit of sweetness.

Debi

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky