• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Pork Spare Ribs

smokin stang

Smoke Blower
Joined Nov 15, 2006
Should the ribs be place in the smoker meat side down and then flipped to meat side up after a certain time? Or, do they need to be bone side down for the 3-2-1 duration? Which method will produce the most tender ribs?

deejaydebi

Legendary Pitmaster
Joined Nov 18, 2006
SS

I like mine bone down so the meat juices don't run off as much. To me they seem juicer that way, but I'm sure we have folks that do bone up also.

I know a guy that does them bone up and pokes holes in between bones to pour juice into.

Debi

smokin_all_night

Meat Mopper
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 3, 2005
I definitely do bone down. Remember to remove the membrane and dry rub the day before. Let the ribs warm up on the counter before you smoke them. I usually do a 3, 2, ½ time for loin backs. Longer in the first two stages if spare ribs or St Louis style. I spray about every hour with water and vinegar about ½ and ½ using a spray bottle.

Regards,
Aubrey Page
------------
OTBS #007

deejaydebi

Legendary Pitmaster
Joined Nov 18, 2006
I did mine last night and tried spraying with apple juice (forgot who susgested it - sorry) and it was great. Adds a bit of sweetness.

Debi

cheech

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Dec 19, 2005
I believe that with bone side down it will also help with the distribution of the heat

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.