Pork Spare Ribs and Smoked Mac & Cheese (QView)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texasgal81

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Northlake, TX
It was a fairly nice Saturday for Texas (already starting to get pretty hot) so I ran by the store to see what I could smoke for the weekend. Got spare ribs on a big sale & chickens on clearance and threw a rack on yesterday. The smoker ran about 225-250 all day.

Topped the ribs with S&P, a pork rub, Salt Lick dry rub, and grub rub, then threw it on to do the 3-2-1 rib smoke. After 3 hours of smoke (hickory and cherry), I pulled off to foil with margarine, honey, and more grub rub (brown sugar based).

During the 2 hours in foil, I started the mac and cheese to put on with the ribs during the last hour. I used the pioneer woman's regular mac & cheese recipe and added 6 pieces crumbled bacon, 4 oz diced green chiles, 2 tablespoons of diced jalapeños, and a couple of squirts of franks red hot sauce. I also changed up the cheese a bit and used a mix of extra sharp cheddar, mozzarella, and fiesta mix.

After 2 hours I pulled the ribs, unwrapped, brushed on sweet baby rays, and put on the lower rack. I put the mac on top and added hickory chips to get the mac some smoke.

Here they are after the last hour. All really good of course. I like my meat to fall off the bone, and these did with a little pull. The flavor was excellent too.

You did a Great Job, Gal !!! 
drool.gif
 ----------------
points.gif

When I saw "Texas", I knew it would be good!!
icon14.gif

Thanks for the Views!

Bear

Looks fantastic! I just threw a rack of spares in my MES. I was out of BBQ sauce and was too lazy to go to the store, so I tried making Jeff's sauce. Well, I didn't have all the stuff for it, so I made some substitutions. I used tomato sauce instead of ketchup. I also used honey instead of molasses. I added some allspice and vinegar...it turned out great...next time I'll follow the recipe exactly to see how that turns out.

You did a Great Job, Gal !!! :drool  ----------------:points:

When I saw "Texas", I knew it would be good!!Thumbs Up

Thanks for the Views!

Bear

Aww, thanks Bear! I appreciate that. Especially coming from you!

Looks fantastic! I just threw a rack of spares in my MES. I was out of BBQ sauce and was too lazy to go to the store, so I tried making Jeff's sauce. Well, I didn't have all the stuff for it, so I made some substitutions. I used tomato sauce instead of ketchup. I also used honey instead of molasses. I added some allspice and vinegar...it turned out great...next time I'll follow the recipe exactly to see how that turns out.

Yeah, I just really love the sweet baby ray' s so I've just stuck with that for now. Good luck on your next try! I substitute all the time so I don't have to go to the store. Lol.

Looking good!!!! what smoker are you using?

Thanks! I live in an apt so I can only use electric. I have a Brinkmann Gourmet Electric...the little red bullet. Lol.

I love smoked mac n' cheese, but when I fix it with smoked meats, it seems like a waste. With other smoked options, it just tastes like mac n' cheese.

I did bring it to a family get-together this spring and had a relative tell me he doesn't usually eat mac n' cheese, but it was one of the best dishes there.

Great price on the ribs and looking good! I thought I got a deal on ribs today at $1.69 a pound - I bought 8 racks. You never see them here at that price, but a butcher shop just opened up a new location and they had a sale. $300 worth of meats.  
drool.gif

Mmm...that looks delicious TexGal!  Wish I had a plate with some of that!  Nicely done...

:PDT_Armataz_01_37:

Red

Hey Red, OK ain't that far! I'll save you some. Lol. Thanks for the points!

Excellent cook, Gal!  Everything looks absolutely yummy!!!

Thanks BA! Appreciate it!

I love smoked mac n' cheese, but when I fix it with smoked meats, it seems like a waste. With other smoked options, it just tastes like mac n' cheese.

I did bring it to a family get-together this spring and had a relative tell me he doesn't usually eat mac n' cheese, but it was one of the best dishes there.

Oh man, I'm all about the sides, especially smoked mac and cheese. The add-ins I did really give it something extra too (bacon, green chiles, and jalapenos). Sometimes I eat more of that than meat. Lol.

Great price on the ribs and looking good! I thought I got a deal on ribs today at $1.69 a pound - I bought 8 racks. You never see them here at that price, but a butcher shop just opened up a new location and they had a sale. $300 worth of meats.  :drool

Wow. I wish I had room for that much. That's a great price too! Have fun smokin it up!

Reactions: big fish
Ribs for $1.47 a pound?!?!? I thought y'all were a beef state. Here in michigan $2.99 is a good deal and $2.50 is a huge sale!!

Good lookin Q!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky