pork shoulder questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

edsmoke1985

Original poster
Jan 25, 2014
I have an 8.5lb pork shoulder... This may be a dumb question but do I leave the skin on? Or cut it off before applying the rub? Also should I inject the meat with any liquid before smoking it? Need all the help I can get... Thanks in advance

I cut it off and also inject with Creole butter and apple juice (50/50 mix) the night before. I was watching Pit masters the other day all 3 contestants left the thick skin on.

OK now a follow up question... Will the rub penetrate through the skin?

No your rub will not penetrate the skin. I always remove the skin. You'll get better bark. There's really no need to worry about it drying out there's enough fat in that cut. Remove the skin, rub it down and put it in the smoker until the internal temp hits 205. Foil wrap it let it rest for 45mins then pull and enjoy.

Last edited:
Thanks I've been researching all day and most seem to remove the skin... I'll be smoking it next weekend and I'll throw the Q-view on this thread... Thanks for all the help

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky