• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Pork Shoulder on Weber kettle

ilbbqjunkie

Joined Sep 6, 2010
I did a pork shoulder on my Weber One-Touch 22-inch this weekend.  I loaded the charcoal in a 'modified minion method' which worked well, I got a good 8-hour burn at appx 225-250 degrees (temp measured at food grill).  After 13 hours, the meat was only at 165 degrees.  We were hungry so I stopped there.  Not 'pulled pork' but chopped pork.  It was delicious, but I couldn't get the temp close enough to that magic mark of 200.

Can anyone offer some tips on smoking a pork butt on a kettle? 

planeguy

Smoke Blower
Joined Jun 5, 2009
I use my kettle to do my pork butts all the time. Couple questions -

How many pounds was your shoulder? I use smaller butts on the Weber to cut down on the cooking time. I have done 3 - 6 lb butts at once and finished in about 12 hours.

Did you think about foiling the meat once it hit 165?

If you dont already have one go get yourself a hinged grate for the Weber - it makes adding charcoal much easier

I use a few binder clips to clamp the lid to the body on the Weber to help keep the heat & smoke leak around the lead.

Most important - try not to open the lid. Just to add heat and if your spritzing the meat (once an hour is good)

ilbbqjunkie

Joined Sep 6, 2010
It was a 6 pound butt.  I didn't foil, but will try that next time.  I did do some peeking admittedly, but for the most part I tried to leave it alone, even checking the thermometer sitting on the grill through the vent holes with a flashlight.

planeguy

Smoke Blower
Joined Jun 5, 2009
Give the foil a try - it helps on the Weber.

Also, get your self a digital thermometer that way you dont have to open the grill to keep looking.

Good Luck!

ilbbqjunkie

Joined Sep 6, 2010
I smoked another pork butt today and the results were perfect!  

I loaded the kettle with charcoal last night.  I was out of bed at 5:30am, got the fire started and had the butt in the grill by 6:30am.   I was able to maintain a steady 240 degree temp until around 3:30pm when I added a load of pre-fired coals which brought the grill temp up to just under 300 degrees.  The butt was at 170 at that point so I foiled it and by 5:30pm it was up to 200 degrees.  I let it rest inside the foil in a cooler for 1/2-hour before pulling the pork and chopping the bark.

It was awesome!

Last edited:

deannc

Master of the Pit
Joined Jun 13, 2010
I smoked another pork butt today and the results were perfect!  

It was awesome!
Congrats on a great smoke!  One of my favorites, some delicious pulled pork.  

Remember, that Qview goes a long way!  

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks