• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

pork shoulder fat content

hugho

Joined Oct 14, 2021
Pork shoulder fat content is said to be 30-35% in old threads on this forum. I am making my first sausage from a pork shoulder and I think there is nowhere near that amount in these american hogs. am I correct? I wonder if I am wasting my time with american pork shoulder without adding some pork fat?

SmokinEdge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jan 18, 2020
The butt will usually be 80/20 the picnic a bit less.
The butt is just about the perfect meat/fat ratio for sausage.
Pork shoulder fat content is said to be 30-35% in old threads on this forum. I am making my first sausage from a pork shoulder and I think there is nowhere near that amount in these american hogs. am I correct? I wonder if I am wasting my time with american pork shoulder without adding some pork fat?

BrianGSDTexoma

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 1, 2018
I been really happy with my breakfast sausage using them. About perfect for me and I like fat.

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
I've been making sausage with shoulder butts for years now and never had an issue with fat content.
Don't over-engineer it...

tallbm

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 30, 2016
Hi there and welcome!

I've always read/understood the pork butt/shoulder to be 80/20 meat/fat ratio. I've made plenty sausage with it and and when I do my wild game sausage that has no fat, I add 20% fat to go 80/20 meat /fat for my sausages and they always come out fantastaic!

Oceantoad

Fire Starter
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 26, 2022
Hugho, I'm also a newbie on here. I started making sausages from pork butt in February. Since then I've probably made 50 - 60# of this stuff and it gets better each time. I've been lucky enough to have a little extra money to support my habit. Was very fortunate to come across two different sales on pork butts. You can't beat .98 and .99 a pound. Anyway, from what I have read, researched and experienced is that the pork butt is a great selection of meat for making sausage. Just like what smokeymose stated....
Don't over-engineer it...

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.