Pork shoulder can take longer than you think....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CindyCRNA

Original poster
May 7, 2021
Brand new to smoking and the forum. My friend gave me a nice Cookshack electric smoker. She has a lot of experience with smoking butts so armed with her advice I took the plunge on a 7 pound butt. She took 24 hours on hers so that's what I planned on. I liberally covered it with Meat Church's Honey Hog Hot and put it in a 225 degree smoker directly on the grate. This morning when I got up after 13 hours it was up to an IT of 171 so I covered it in tin foil and carried on. right now we are at an IT of 200 at the 21 hour mark. Waiting for that golden 203-205 then will wrap in towels and put in a cooler for 2 hours. I read some of the old threads and some were putting on the morning of . Many were not having good luck with that as it wasn't ready by dinner. I love that an electric smoker doesn't need tending . It was smoking well after 5 hours so I wan't concerned when I got up and it wasn't smoking anymore. Since I was covering it, it became an oven now. It should be at temp by the 22 hour mark.

Quick question. I see some smoke in a pan. My friend she put hers directly on the grate. It is messier that way but the smoke hits the underside. Any of you have strong opinions either way?

I will use an aluminum pan under mine to catch the drippings. Either with the butt on a cooling rack directly on top of the pan or with the pan on the rack below the butt.
Those dripping make fine finishing sauce to add back into the PP and helps keep the smoker just a little bit cleaner.
Jim

Either way works fine. I prefer cooking on the grate, and putting a drip pan on a grate below (if you have that option) Some use a little wire rack under the meats when using a pan.

As far as internal temperature for doneness.... internal temp is a good indicator, but probing with an ice pick, small wooden skewer or instant read thermometer is a much better indication of tenderness.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
22 hours? Damn, that would be almost 3 bags of charcoal on my Gravity 560 lol.

In all honesty, I got stuck at 193 internal temp and now just put it in a 375 degree oven to finish. I check with a different probe and the reading was correct.

In all honesty, I got stuck at 193 internal temp and now just put it in a 375 degree oven to finish. I check with a different probe and the reading was correct.

As thirdeye already mentioned, don't worry about the internal temp. I've had butts finish as low as 192. Cook it until it is tender, not to a specific temp. There is no "golden temp".

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky