Pork Shots & ABT’s

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smoke23

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 15, 2017
N.E Ohio
1533A455-7461-4E04-A271-5F9CC5D092CF.jpeg
27303536-8F1A-4C61-AB2E-FB2BCB59239D.jpeg
E220F339-E0C8-45D3-AB0B-E5E3252C80A8.jpeg
2D42C335-195F-4286-8A6A-73EE2E0F5EA0.jpeg
So after seeing gmc2003 gmc2003 post on pork shots I had to give it a shot. I had some of the stuff I needed and seeing that my wife was already going to the store... I just added a few things to the list.

After I had all the ingredients I pulled up Chris’s post. It was easy enough to find cause it was on the carousel! I cut up the kielbasa, cheese and bacon. Got the rub and toothpicks out (yes, I had plenty of them). With the help of my oldest daughter, we knocked these out in no time!

One of the things I needed from the store were two jalapeños. I was gonna do some Dutch’s Wicked Baked Beans for a friend. I’m helping put the groceries away and I see a bag of jalapeños, apparently they didn’t have any single jalapeños. What’s one to do when you have more jalapeños than what you planned on using? Ya check to see if you have everything for some abt’s!

I was running pretty low on shredded cheese but some is better than none. So I mixed some cream cheese, Colby Jack cheese and some rub together for the filling. I par boiled the peppers, cut them in half, took the seeds out along with a little of the membrane. I filled the peppers with the cream cheese filling, put a little smokie sausage on that and topped that with a third of a slice of bacon. I couldn’t use too much bacon because I needed some for the beans on the weekend.

I haven’t used my kettle to smoke anything for a while so I figured I’d use that. I pulled out my version of the smokenator and oak for the wood. Seeing how this would be a pretty quick smoke I didn’t bother to get my thermometer out... the lid thermometer will get me in the ballpark. I let everything go for about 1 1/2 hours and 250* on the lid.

Thanks for looking and thanks Chris for your pork shot post!

Smoke those shot and turds look terrific. You and your daughter did a fabulous job. When you ate the turds did you get a hit of fire juice when you bit into them. I've never had them halved like that, but when they're made whole with the tops cut off you always get a shot of liquid fire in the bottom.

Point for sure.

Chris

Reactions: Smoke23
Thanks for all the Likes and compliments guys, I really appreciate it!!!

My friend.... Looks amazing! I cant wait to try these this weekend. Ive already gone over to gmc2003 gmc2003 's post to read up on these. Not only did you guys make me want these, but when I read they were good for breakfast, I thought about ways to do some breakfast favs on the smoker!

Thanks for sharing and for the inspiration!

EDIT: Where can I find the jalapeno recipe?

My friend.... Looks amazing! I cant wait to try these this weekend. Ive already gone over to gmc2003 gmc2003 's post to read up on these. Not only did you guys make me want these, but when I read they were good for breakfast, I thought about ways to do some breakfast favs on the smoker!

Thanks for sharing and for the inspiration!

EDIT: Where can I find the jalapeno recipe?
You can just try searching this forum for abt’s and there’s plenty of posts with a filling recipes. A very simple filling is cream cheese with pineapple. You can buy it like that then add some pork rub and shredded cheese to it. Or use it as is, the sweet from the pineapple goes well with the heat from the jalapeño.

Reactions: Xendau
You can just try searching this forum for abt’s and there’s plenty of posts with a filling recipes. A very simple filling is cream cheese with pineapple. You can buy it like that then add some pork rub and shredded cheese to it. Or use it as is, the sweet from the pineapple goes well with the heat from the jalapeño.

Yeah, I searched the forums for it. Not seeing a detailed recipe, but I will look further. Im sure it is here somewhere. Thanks!

EDIT: Finally found the one I want to try. Halved jalapenos, but wrapped in bacon. Is there a difference between the jalapeno poppers and the ABTs? Well the recipe I chose for the halved jalapenos... I doctored it up to go into my recipe PDF library.
With ALL credit going to chilerelleno...

Thanks chilerelleno!
Smoked Jalapeno Pop - chilerelleno.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: yazamitaz
Great looking ABT's. Bet they tasted great. A definite hit around here I found out. Like on those for sure. Congrats on your carousel ride.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky