Pork Roll Recipe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

milkman

Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
I was wondering if there are any pork roll recipes out there to stuff casings for a smoker. I've searched the forum and found that it is sometimes called Taylor roll and is supposedly from New Jersey. I made a summer sausage for my first smoked sausage and added pork to the mixture. The recipe had too much garlic but kind of tasted like pork roll.

I always thought it was a bologna originated from Mennonite/Amish smokehouses. I've grown up with pork roll and it can be found in the Mennonite/Amish owned country stores around here in log style or sliced. Like most meats it taste much better sliced by the deli than prepacked. My mom got me half a log and I am eating it either cold or fried in sandwiches, by the chunk, or it makes a great 'pork roll gravy' that tastes better than dry beef or sausage gravy.

TIA,
The Milkman

Well I can't help you with a recipe milkman I do know what a Pork Roll is. Growing up in Jersey they are available and served everywhere, even on biscuits with eggs at WaWa for breakfast.
Supposedly they were created in Trenton, NJ and have spread from there. You might know them from the Amish because there so many Amish in NJ and PA make them.

From Wiki:
Pork roll is a type of sausage-like meat product commonly available in and around New Jersey. In North Jersey it is usually called Taylor Ham.[1] The product, as it is made today, was developed in 1856[2] by John Taylor of Trenton, New Jersey, though several firms produce their own versions.

And the Wiki link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_roll

Also heard there is a recipe in Rytek's book.

*After some Googling I found a site that has a pork roll recipe you can check out.
Search down until you find the "New Jersey Pork Roll" recipe.
http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage recipes.htm

Also a nice sausage site for anyone else interested.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky