Pork Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

patcap

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
Southwest Louisiana
I getting very close to my target weight and I am going to be able to use my smoker for things other than veggies and eggs. My first smoke I think is going to be a bone-in pork roast from the hind quarter of a wild hog I harvested. I plan to slice the meat. This cut of meat tends to be a little tough and there is very little fat on the wild hogs down here because of the heat. Does anyone have any advice for a very novice smoker to make sure this roast comes out tender and juicy???

Low and slow! Temps from 225-240. After the meat hits about 150-160 foil it and add about 1/2 cup apple or orange juice and let it cook till done about 190-200F. A foil disposable pan will help a lot here.

Good luck and congratulations on your weight program!

What he said ^^^^^ if you want to slice it I would take it off at about 170 and 200 if you want to pull it.

I got close to mine once I think, Not sure it has been so many years ago...

Besides have you ever seen a skinny Chef? Especially one that owns a Smoker. Look at those BBQ events on the Food Network, ain't gonna happen, No Sir...
icon_mrgreen.gif

Well, if it weren't an issue of health because I had high blood pressure (now normalized and off my medicine because of the weight loss) and an issue of employment because I am expected to maintain a certain degree of physical fitness in order to advance with promotion, I wouldn't worry too much about it, but I really want to maximize my retirement income and be there for my daughter as she grows up. Besides, I feel soooooooo much better 50 lbs lighter(soon to be 60 lbs. when I reach my target weight), it's hard to argue with that.

What John said works for me too.

Yep - just what they said. For cuts of meat that are LOW in marbled fat content, they start to dry out just a tad bit over 165°. This is why most of us (at 160 or 165) will double-wrap them in foil that has a tad bit of liquid inside. Helps these big cuts continue to cook without more moisture escaping.

Also right on is the other post: take it to 170 - 180 if you want to slice it, and up to 195 - 205 if you want to pull it.

MOST IMPORTANT though is to start early in the day, because after you hit your targe temp, you want to let that foil-wrapped hunk-o-goodness rest for at least an hour before you take it out and slice it!!

Therefore, if I were you I'd pull at 170 and do the "cooler method" for at least an hour, then remove and slice.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky