Pork Loin Roast 5 lbs: Goin to Try Something New

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

silverwolf636

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 18, 2008
East Ohio, Uhrichsville, Ohio
I've been searchn for suggestions on a Pork Loin Roast. About all I've read is that they are hard to do without drying them out or marinating them. I'm not much on marinating except birds. I have a spit on my smoker so what I am goin to do with the 5 pounder is make horizontal slits in it deep enough to insert slices of bacon (thinkin of trying the peppered) into the slits. I will probably put the slits about 2 inches apart (sorta have to see when I get to cuttin). I may even wrap it in bacon also. I then take butchers string and tie it up well enough so the bacon will not fall out or off.

The Plan of Attack:
- cut slits
- rub (tryin the KC rub) (night before)
- insert bacon
- tie her up
- wrap in plastic over night
- get the cherry and maple wood out
- fire up smoker to around 225
- smoke to bout 150-160

I'll submit q/view tomorrow: Saturday evening when this gets done.
I'm open for comments good or bad. I've only been smokin for bout a year and a half and I'm hooked.

Thanx
Ray

i smoked one lastnight, it was 4# an i rubbed it down with a pork rub(same as i use on my pulled pork) and dumped some grape juice/morgan into water pan and smoked until 140. it was not dry at all, had nice smoke ring. sliced it up and served with pepperjack cheese, onions and on hoagie buns.

fowl play is right, if you cook to a lower temp on your loin it will be very moist and delicious.
I always do mine to 135-140 and they always turn out great.

See, pork is one of those things where wayyyyy back in the day you ran the risk of getting sick unless it was cooked over 165.
These days eating a med-rare or medium piece of pork is not a dangerous thing. Many fine dining restaurants even suggest and serve their pork medium-rare.
I won't tell you that you should nor will I argue against the governments stance on pork, but I will say that I always do my loins to 135-140, they are always tender and delicious and I have never once gotten sick from something like that.
Like salmon, most people are used to eating it completely cooked and flaky but is something you should really try out med-rare/medium.

I agree wholeheartedly with the lower temps for pork loin. I seldom take mine over 140, and always brine them first...nice and juicy. Only pork I take higher is a butt, of course that goes to 185-190.
Worst case scenario is...you pull it off , cut it and don't like what you see....you can just toss it right back in...no harm done.

Have fun experimenting with it.

The proper cooking of pork stems from infections by the trichinella spiralis worm, a parasite found in swine, wild game, etc. that can transfer to the human by way of undercooked meat. It usually only harbors in the fat. Here's some prevention tips from Wikipedia:
[edit] Prevention
  • Cooking meat products to an internal temperature of 165 °F (74 °C) for a minimum of 15 seconds.
  • Cooking pork to a uniform internal temperature of at least 144 °F (62.2 °C), per USDA Title 9 section 318.10. It is prudent to use a margin of error to allow for variation in internal temperature and error in the thermometer.
  • Freezing pork less than 6 inches thick for 20 days at 5 °F (−15 °C) or three days at −4 °F (−20 °C) kills larval worms.
  • Cooking wild game meat thoroughly. Freezing wild game meats, unlike freezing pork products, even for long periods of time, may not effectively kill all worms. This is because the species of trichinella that typically infects wild game is more resistant to freezing than the species that infects pigs.
  • Cooking all meat fed to pigs or other wild animals.
  • Keeping pigs in clean pens with floors that can be washed (such as concrete).
  • Not allowing hogs to eat uncooked carcasses of other animals, including rats, which may be infected with trichinosis.
  • Cleaning meat grinders thoroughly when preparing ground meats.
  • Control and destruction of meat containing trichinae, e.g., removal and proper disposal of porcine diaphragms prior to public sale of meat.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention makes the following recommendation: "Curing (salting), drying, smoking, or microwaving meat does not consistently kill infective worms."[17] However, under controlled commercial food processing conditions some of these methods are considered effective by the United States Department of Agriculture.[18]
The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) are responsible for the regulations concerning the importation of swine from foreign countries. The Foreign Origin Meat and Meat Products, Swine section covers swine meat (cooked, cured and dried, and fresh). The USDA and APHIS developed the National Trichinae Certification Program. This is a voluntary “pre-harvest” program for U.S. swine producers “that will provide documentation of swine management practices” to reduce the incidence of Trichinella in swine.[19] The CDC reports that 0.013% of U.S. swine is infected with Trichinella.

Both cooking and freezing are good ways of killing the parasite. 'Certified' pork is pork that has been frozen 30 days or more, for example.

Again, from Wikipedia, it's life cycle:

Life cycle
The domestic cycle involves humans, pigs, and rodents. Pigs become infected when they eat raw infected meat, especially infected rodents. Humans become infected when they eat raw or undercooked infected pork. After humans ingest the cysts from infected undercooked meat, pepsin and hydrochloric acid help free the larvae in the cysts into the small intestine.[3] The larvae then migrate to the small intestine and invade the columnar epithelial cells; the process of how the columnar cells are invaded is still unknown. [2] In the small intestine, the larvae molt four times before becoming adults. [3] Thirty to 34 hours after the cysts were originally ingested, the adults mate and within five days produce larvae. [3] The worms can only reproduce for a limited period of time because the immune system will eventually expel them from the small intestine.[3] Genetic studies with laboratory rats seem to indicate that the host’s genetic make-up can determine the duration of the intestinal phase and that “T-cell dependent antigen is necessary for protection against the intestinal phase of the infection”. [5] The larvae then use their piercing mouth part called the “sylet” to pass through the intestinal mucosa and enter the lymphatic vessels and then enter the bloodstream. [2] The larvae use the capillaries in striated muscle to arrive at their final destination: the muscle fiber cells.[5] It is believed that the larvae enter the muscle cells through mechanical means. [2] The muscle cell that a larva takes over is referred to as the nurse cell. In just three weeks the larvae induce dramatic changes in the muscle cells. [7] For instance, the larvae increase the size of the cell’s nucleus and create a “placenta” like structure around the muscle cell called a circulatory rete. [7] How can the larvae induce angiogenesis (formation of new blood vessels) around the muscle cell? It is hypothesized that the larvae's genes activate certain genes of the host’s cell to induce these dramatic changes. [7] Because humans do not typically get eaten by other animals “humans are a parasitic dead end.” [7]

Hope this helps!

Pops §§

Alot of good info. Thank ya.
Welp here it is. I took the temp to 160.

Fresh outa the package:

Slits cut to insert Peppered Bacon:

Bacon inserted, rubbed and tied up so I don't lose the bacon on the spit:

Done on the spit:

Cuttin up:

I had some Peppered Bacon left over from something; just thought I'd give it a try.
I don't regret it. Parent stopped over just as I was pulling it off the spit. They thought it had great flavor.

Thanx gang for all your info.

Looks like it turned out great Silverwolf. I liked the way the bacon you inserted looked after it was cooked. Did the bacon lend enough flavor into the meat and would you recommend trying it out? Seems like it would be tasty.

I used the Peppered Bacon and the rub was a KC rub that someone had put into the local paper for ribs. It almost seemed that the two together complimented each other and worked together. Yea it did blend in some flavor to the loin. I also put some of the rub in the cuts also. But you could tell that the peppered bacon was there. It really had a mixture of flavors but there wasn't any real dominating spice that took away from the natural flavor of the pork. I also had a vinagar after sauce that I put on the sandwich that just really hit the spot too. If you would like the rub and after sauce that I used just let me know and I'll put it up here.

Absolutely! Well, as long as they are something you would recommend trying. Always nice to see a new recipe and give it a try.

That looks pretty darned tasty. It kind of looks like a bear claw pastry. LOL Glad it all worked out for ya.

So whaddya think? Take it off at 140* next time?

Points for ingenuity!

Welp, here's the recipe I used for the loin:

The K.C. Rub and Barbecue Sauce I got from the Times Reporter Newspaper. This was from a guy that owns his own bbq restaurant. It's actually a kc rib rub.

Rub
½ cup brown sugar or raw cane sugar
¼ cup Hungarian paprika
1 tbs black pepper
1 tbs Kosher salt
1 tbs chili powder
1 tbs garlic powder
1 tbs onion powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper

Glaze
The glaze recipe I got off of here and I cannot find it to give the poster credit for this.
1 cup honey
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp ground cloves

Barbecue Sauce
12 oz. Barbecue sauce (your own or favorite store bought)
3 oz. Vinegar
3 oz. Honey
½ tbs your favorite rib rub (I used cajun)
mix it up

Bacon
Peppered

= I prepared the pork loin roast the night before by:
= I cut slits in the loin roast a little more than an inch apart and deep enough to insert the bacon as the pic shows
= I smothered the roast with the rub and also in the slits that were made for the bacon
= Insert the bacon
= I then wrapped it with butchers string so the bacon would not come out (I used a spit).
= wrapped it in plastic and put it in the fridge for the night

= I took it out of the fridge about an hour before the smoker was ready
= I tried to keep my temp for smokin between 225 and 240
= the last hour and a half I glazed every half hour

= I took it off when it reached 160, I'll let you all decide what temp ya want to take your's off.

Let me know if anyone tries it and how it was.

Hope you like...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky