Pork loin...DROOL ALERT

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kingfish

Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
The half pork loin I had in the fridge was planned to be turned into Canadian bacon but I couldn't find any cure. So I let it sit in the fridge until this Friday evening. The package the half loin was in said "12% solution" so I decided not to brine too much (did not want watery meat.) So I did mix up a brine with Kosher salt, sliced fresh garlic, garlic powder, cayenne, and worcestershire.

I let the meat sit in the fridge for 4 hours. I think I will do 8 next time.

Took out the meat, patted dry and gave it a good rub. Wrapped it in plastic wrap and let sit in the fridge overnight. Pulled it out, sprinkled a little more rub on and and wrapped in bacon. The loin had a nice fat cap.

I cooked over lump charcoal and hickory chunks at around 230° till internal was 155°. Took 7.5 hours total.

Here we are rubbed and wrapped.

Picture%20237.jpg

After about 5 hours I wrapped in foil with apple juice. Here it is right before foiling. Notice a little corner missing...Wonder how that happened.
Picture%20246.jpg

After being foiled for about 2 hours I took it out of the foil for about 45 minutes and was done.

Off the smoker and unwrapped. And yes I know we still have the Christmas tablecloth out.
Picture%20247.jpg

Picture%20250.jpg

Picture%20251.jpg

The verdict?

BEST STUFF I HAVE EATEN.

This stuff was melt in your mouth tender and had an incredible amount of flavor. The real test was the boy...Kinda like "Mikey" he hates everything. But he loved this. He wouldn't eat the outside, so I just trimmed the crust and ate it myself.

Things I will do differently:
More whole cloves of garlic inside. I only put a couple in but will use more.
A little longer soak in the brine. Could have used a little more salt.
Maybe inject with a little worcestershire.
Cook to 165°...maybe.
Cook more than one!!!!
Maybe make a paste out of smoked garlic and add that to my rub...

This will be a staple in my entertaining arsenal.

It was very moist. I am glad I decided to foil it.

As for the rub, that is something I cannot divulge except that it is cayenne/dried garlic base.

Fabulous post! Rep points for exceptional Q-view, process and description! Congratulations for a job well done!

Cheers,
Brian

Great lookin' Q View, congrats on a good smoke. I might try a loin this week... your fault!

One more thing I will do next time. Cut a slit down the middle and sprinkle in some rub. Give it a vein of extra flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky