Pork Chops Apple Wood Smoke - dialing in the smoker rig

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

campfirestu

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 28, 2015
TX
smoker.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: kruizer and Hamdrew
chunk applewood is being burnt in a smoke generator tube to create wood flavor. A small propane burner sits below the fire tube to burn the wood. An adjustable fish pump venturi pushes the desired amount of smoke into the smoker. An exhaust fan evacuates the excess smoke and pumps it outside. The smoker itself is a 50$ converted wall oven with an Omron PID controller

Last edited:
275 deg. was an after work cook. pull them out of the fridge put olive oil on - salt and pepper - cook.

Last edited:
I'm intrigued :emoji_thinking:
Anything that includes wood, I'm in. This is unique to me but I still don't understand what's going on. I'm kind of slow sometime.......

it is somewhat like the way Ole Hickory smokers use natural gas to maintain the temp and a gas flame also burns the flavor wood. This rig separates the cooking temp and the smoke generation as individually controlled entities. The 220v oven and omron controller maintains an even temp - the smoke generator off to the side processes the wood. The 'smoke' is metered in at the rate I desire. Definitely experimental I do not recommend you try this at home -

Next step - use an alcohol backpack burner instead of the existing burner to ignite and burn the wood

Last edited:
Reactions: texomakid
Ok that's pretty cool - you changed photos. Now I get it. I was the kid that always wants the books with lost of pics

Ok that's pretty cool - you changed photos. Now I get it. I was the kid that always wants the books with lost of pics
I posted this in the wrong spot but couldn't figure out how to move it to the smoker section. I can't work the internet - but after 5 years of working with this smoker, I am glad it finally works consistently.

Reactions: texomakid
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky