Pork Butts for Graduation Party

Discussion in 'Pork' started by thadius65, Jun 6, 2010.

1. thadius65

thadius65 Smoke Blower

I am going to be doing (6) pork butts in a few weeks and getting the planning underway.  I have done these before, but always done cooking the day of eating.

Party is on a Saturday at 4PM.  I would like to cook Thursday afternoon on my GOSM gasser with supplimental smoke from Big Kahuna until 140F and then pull and put in my ceramic Primo Oval XL w/ CyberQ running for the overnight.  Reasoning - more and better controlled smoke on GOSM/Kahuna.  and More controll on temp/longevity on Primo.

First - any problems with my approach?

Second - Say pork is done Friday morning.  What is the appropriate way to handle/store until party?  and what would best reheat option be?  Electric roaster or ??

Thanks for the help!

Ted

2. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

As far as the proper way to handle the pork butt is to keep it in the refrig till it's time for the re-heating. Now as far as that you have several ways that you could re-heat the meat. I would recommend a pasta pot/steamer pot and then just do a rotation of the meat. You can microwave it but I'm not sure if anyone else thinks that is a good way either. You could put it into a cockpot and re-heat it that way too. Now how are you serving this meat??? Are you using foil pans with the sterno flame thingys? I would also recommend using the crock pots for serving too. That way you could keep the meat good and warm thew out the party too.