pork butt question

Discussion in 'Pork' started by celticgladiator, Jul 26, 2010.

1. i have read about searing a brisket before smoking. is this advised on a pork butt for added flavor? i figure someone here has some experience with this and could give me some advise.

2. guvna

guvna Smoking Fanatic

i've never heard of anyone searing a butt. surely it would add some flavor though... mine have always come out great w/o searing so i've never tried. in fact, i've never seared anything before smoking it.

3. ronp

ronp Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I do it all the time.

4. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Never tried searing anything before smokin, But I will try anything one time, twice if I like it !   [​IMG]

5. i may give it a shot then. just wanted to make sure i wasnt going to ruin a butt in doing so. let it kiss the flames and then the smoke!

6. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

If you try it let us (me)  know how it works. Never tried it....

7. i think i'm going to do a butt in a week or so. have one in the freezer. i'll be sure to post pics when i do.

8. I'd wondered that myself, since that IS what you do to any roast before going into an oven or a slow cooker.  I looked at the Boston Butt going into my smoker yesterday and told it "I should sear you."

Might contribute to better "bark" on the outside?

Maybe greater moisture retention and a juicier product?

You might've just created a new "secret" to greater smoking success.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  9. it's my understanding that searing retaining moisture is a myth but i would think it would add another level of flavor to the finished product. i'm sure its been done a lot as people do it with brisket all the time. one way to find out i guess, [​IMG]

10. Isn't pork fun??? Good times!!! [​IMG]

I think that searing the butt would provide a whole new level of flavor... I'm doing a whole shoulder this weekend for a camping trip... I'm going to sear the smaller part and give it a shot... I should have some great pictures for y'all mid next week.

The only issue i see with this is "to rub or not to rub"... I'm thinking that if I use a rub on it and throw it on the grill to get the sear on it, won't the sugar in the rub burn and leave a crappy taste on it? I love my rub and I love a good bark so this is crucial for me... Do i sear it, then rub it, then smoke it? do i use a rub with no sugar in? Does anyone have any input on this??? This is new territory for me! [​IMG]

11. realtorterry

realtorterry Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

maybe try the turbinado sugar if your not already?

12. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Searing your Pork Butt will give it some extra flavor.

Backing up to close to the fire will sear your Butt & more than likely cause some pain.

Bear

13. Turbinado Sugar??? Forgive my ignorance but please explain...

14. Thanks for the heads up, Bear... Knowing me, this is going to be a very real possibility this weekend!!! [​IMG]