pork butt question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

celticgladiator

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Southeastern SoDak
i have read about searing a brisket before smoking. is this advised on a pork butt for added flavor? i figure someone here has some experience with this and could give me some advise.

i've never heard of anyone searing a butt. surely it would add some flavor though... mine have always come out great w/o searing so i've never tried. in fact, i've never seared anything before smoking it.

I do it all the time.

Never tried searing anything before smokin, But I will try anything one time, twice if I like it !  
icon_smile.gif

I'd wondered that myself, since that IS what you do to any roast before going into an oven or a slow cooker.  I looked at the Boston Butt going into my smoker yesterday and told it "I should sear you."

Might contribute to better "bark" on the outside?

Maybe greater moisture retention and a juicier product?

You might've just created a new "secret" to greater smoking success.

Last edited:
it's my understanding that searing retaining moisture is a myth but i would think it would add another level of flavor to the finished product. i'm sure its been done a lot as people do it with brisket all the time. one way to find out i guess,
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Isn't pork fun??? Good times!!! 
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

I think that searing the butt would provide a whole new level of flavor... I'm doing a whole shoulder this weekend for a camping trip... I'm going to sear the smaller part and give it a shot... I should have some great pictures for y'all mid next week.

The only issue i see with this is "to rub or not to rub"... I'm thinking that if I use a rub on it and throw it on the grill to get the sear on it, won't the sugar in the rub burn and leave a crappy taste on it? I love my rub and I love a good bark so this is crucial for me... Do i sear it, then rub it, then smoke it? do i use a rub with no sugar in? Does anyone have any input on this??? This is new territory for me!
icon_eek.gif

Searing your Pork Butt will give it some extra flavor.

Backing up to close to the fire will sear your Butt & more than likely cause some pain.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky