PORK BUTT QUESTION (rookie mistake)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wo44

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 25, 2016
Ok - let me start with this --- bought a pork butt at stew leonards the other day -- a nice 8pounder but it is boneless (there is the rookie mistake). Ok I have it all trimmed up and rubbed with a local guys rub that I have been wanting to try - even did a basic injection since I haven't done that yet and everyone says that a butt is real forgiving so I figured it was a good time to try it.

Here is the question -- should I tie up the butt to hold it together more like it would be if the bone was in it so it will cook more evenly???

Also here is 2 q-view before it goes in later

A couple racks of ribs will join in they smoke also - no pics of them yet

Ok so I took all you guys advice and tied the butt up - next time ill know to make sure the bone is in - like I said before the butt was about 8 labs w/no bone -- I smoked it at 250 in my rec Tec with an additional amaze smoke tube.  Didn't wrap it to get thru the stall and this butt took 13 hours but man o man was this good and not much leftover.  The ribs were a bit past fall off the bone since the butt took longer then expected but still good not dry and the wife likes fall off the bone anyway.

Here are my Q's - forgot to take a pic of the ribs but here is my butt
smilie_flagge13.gif

Question - without bone will that effect cooking time???

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky