Pork Butt for the 4th

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gary s

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 6, 2011
Good morning,  Fourth of July Pork Butt.  The very first step in doing a proper Butt is put on a pot of coffee, then start firing up your smoker and preparing the Butt. I didn't get a super early start, because I wanted to sleep in and just cooking for mt wife and I. There will be plenty for the kids when they stop by, Grand kids are all out of town, and #1 and 2 sons are both working. be a relaxing day.

I'll post a couple of pictures of where I am at so far.

Gary S

Sorry got side tracked

Sam's pork butts 2 in a package

$2.48 per lb.

Front of package       A little blurry, That's what happens when you take pictures before 

your first cup of coffee

Rubbed and ready to go

On the smoker at 7:30       Sure looks lonely all by its self 

Those of you who have seen and read my post before, know I smoke at 225º,   But today since I got a late start (for me) I started at 300º for the first hour and will dampen back to 275º for a while the lower it a little later.    ..................   more to come

I usually do not inject, I have on occasion, if I am looking to add a little more or different flavor, And I do spritz, sometimes just straight apple,  juice, sometimes a 50/50 mix of apple juice and apple cider vinegar 

Gary S

Hey Gary, Happy 4th. Looks like we do butts just about the same. Rub 'em up a bit before smoking, no injection, spritz here and there with the juice / cider vinegar mix. Everything except temp. I went to 275 or better quite a few years ago. Let me know how you like the hotter cook. All the best to you.

Sorry I missed the picture on the rib prep.  Pulled the membrane off the back, rubbed it down with EVOO and coated with my rub and a little extra black pepper and honey powder. the on the smoker.

Ribs on for 30 min, beans for about an hour and a half pork butt for 5 hours

Gary S

Beans off the smoker and resting, about 4 hours in the smoker, you can see at about two o-clock where I had to get a taste

Ribs wrapped and back on,       Butt coming along

Looking good!  I have a butt on the smoker as well, I got an even later start though so we filled up at lunch and probably won't be eating butt until the fireworks are ready to go off.

I forgot the Boudin !!!   turned out great we also had a couple of links with our ribs

Gary S

Sure looks awesome Gary ! Thumbs Up I could make some of that disappear no prob ! LOL. Great lookin smoke !

Thanks WHB,  it was a nice relaxing day

Gary S

Thanks

Gary S

Looks great!

I have a Bradley smoker and such, doesn't combust wood hot enough to create a smoke ring, still tastes just the same...

..but .. what kind of smoker do you have? I'm looking for another.. a stick or charcoal that won't break the bank. All I have is a Weber 22 inch kettle grill, Bradley smoker and Big Chief smoker (for fish and jerky).. looking for something else. Thanks!

Mine is a Reverse Flow that my son and I built several years ago.

Gary S

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky