Pork Butt/Fat Content

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tekjr1

Original poster
Jan 23, 2007
Ft Myers, Florida
I smoked a couple of 8lb butts the other night and pulled them at about 200 degrees. They did what they are supposed to and fell apart.

Question, how much fat should be left in the meat? Seems like when the meat cooled, I could see quite a bit of fat.

The butts were great however I was thinking that most of the fat should have rendered out.

Thanks,

T King

Hi Tekjr1, pork butts usually have alot of fat running through them, and not all of the fat renders out during the cooking process. That's why they are such a forgiving peice of meat to cook without drying out. Iv'e allways had to remove some fat when I pull them after cooking.

Also before I slather and rub them down for smoking I try to cut of as much fat away as I can so when it's done I don't have to throw out the precious bark that otherwise might have been attached to a large piece of fat.(some will disagree with this)

Glad your smoke was a success and remember some pork fat is mmmm mmmm good!!
smile.gif

yo tekjr1,
im glad to meet you !
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

i do my butts about the same almost every time--
i buy from same store almost every time..
they range from 5 to 8 lbs....

i find that some have more fat inside than others.

taken to 200 f internally -you should have rendered most of it away.

Sorry guys I can only handle fat if it's hard and crunchy. I peel the left over bits of soft fat off my briskets, butts and shoulders with a spoon!

i'm with debi, i can't eat fat unless it is crispy, hence why i "burn" my bacon, as my wife says. that is why there is a boston butt curing with buckboard cure on it in the fridge.

The new system limits pix to 97k (I think) so everything has to be really small. What are you having trouble wth Dr Good? We'll help if we can ...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky