• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ishi

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 30, 2018
With the high price of ground beef I need to learn to make a good pork burger.My first attempt so I cut up some homemade bacon added some Cookies Flavor Enhancer.
Grilled them on the sear grates toasted the buns and add BBQ sauce the last few minutes. They were good but if anyone has ideas to share that would be great.
8AC184AE-AE26-42B8-A156-5D46153E3D08.jpeg
5CB14D1B-B5E3-4EBE-A9BB-80BFCB66D667.jpeg
4C019552-C45A-4A4A-AC67-4CB6005CF714.jpeg
BDBF5758-EE6F-4646-B12F-D6A2940B971A.jpeg
6F4BDCA1-6433-48D9-99AC-5283870F3E46.jpeg

I've been making what we call Hipshot burgers for about 15 years now, 60% beef, 40% porkbutt, and some other stuff. I buy the porkbutt when it's 99¢lb, the beef @ $2.49lb, do the math. We like these burgers better than straight ribeye run thru my grinder, the SPC makes them really juicy. Check it out and see if it's something that might work for you, we love 'em. RAY

Reactions: Ishi and ozzz
I've posted this many times, but our favorite for a long time has been the following:
50% Venison
25% Pork Butt
25% Beef (80-20)
Mix & add 3 TBS Worcestershire per pound of Meat.

Soon we might have to drop the Deer Meat, if the Wasting Disease gets into our Counties hunted. Then I'll be going back to my old recipe of 50% Beef & 50% Pork.

Bear

Reactions: Trigger01 and Ishi
Common here but don't think they are elsewhere. Brat burgers. Serve with mustard and sliced onion.

One tip I picked up here is that canadian steak seasoning might work even better on pork than beef. Bet it would work great for pork burgers but have not done it myself. I went to a real high end steak joint once with 4 buds, 3 of us rock steaks but one bud does a chop. We all agreed the chop was better and 99% sure it was brined in CSS. I tried replicating and came VERY close: I rubbed a loin with CSS, SV'd, cut into thick chops, cooled and rested a few days. Fired up the grill and gave em a quick sear. Honestly, probably better than steak.

Last tip, if you use a good jerk seasoning, jerk pork tastes dang close to steak. Jerk burgers... Sounds like a hit to me.

Reactions: Ishi
You like Asian Flavors? Made Korean Pork Patties last night. They were great. Even well done they were Super Juicy! These were 2 bite Chicken Fried Patties but, would be great on the grill...JJ

Korean Pork Patties

2Lb Ground Pork Butt, 20%
1Lb Tofu, pretty much disappears.
1T Minced Carrot
1T Minced Chile, I used Shishito
1T Minced Scallion
1T Minced Garlic
1T Minced Ginger
3T Brn Sugar
3T Oyster Sauce
5th Fish Sauce
1tsp White Pepper
1tsp Sesame Oil

Combine all and mix thoroughly. Form Golf Ball sized portions, flatten and dip in flour, Egg, flour. Fry till Golden Brown. Can also form 4-6 oz Burgers and Char Grill.

Dipping Sauce

1/4C Sugar
1/4C Soy Sauce
1/4C Rice Vinegar
1/2C Water
1T Oyster Sauce
1T Fish Sauce
1T Minced Scallion
2tsp Minced Ginger
1tsp Pressed Garlic
1/2tsp Grnd Wht Pepper
Gochugaru (Korean Chili Flake), Cayenne or other Chile, to taste.

Whisk all and rest 1 hour to meld.

Don't fear the Fish and Oyster Sauce. The Patties don't have a Fishy flavor but are Umami Rich. The Tofu gets well drained and mashed. It virtually disappears but holds moisture and flavor.

BTW...Add the Dipping Sauce to Shredded Cabbage, Carrot, Diced Scallion and Cilantro (If you like it) for a tasty Asian Slaw to top Korean Burgers.

Reactions: Ishi and xray
lKneXls.jpg
I have bulk Farm and Lukainka sausage that is mild enough to make great pork burgers. and you can put together a quick sausage-like seasoning to make unique pork burgers. But I do have garlic pepper seasonings on hand that I often use for pork or beef burgers, grilled chops, etc. These are easy to make and you can tickle the amounts to dial in the flavor you like.

thirdeye's Sweet Garlic Pepper Seasoning for Pork
Ingredients:
3 teaspoons Garlic Powder
3 teaspoons Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Brown Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoon Canning Salt
1/2 teaspoon Toasted Onion Powder
1/4 teaspoon Paprika
1/2 teaspoon Red Bell Pepper (ground)

thirdeye's All-Purpose Garlic Pepper Seasoning
Ingredients:
3 teaspoons Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Canning Salt
1/4 teaspoon Paprika

Pork burger looks good Ishi. There's a lot of good info and recipes already. You could really change the meal up with different condiments and toppings.

I really like grilled pineapple with pork. Pair it up with some pepper and onion and you have a tasty burger.

I make mine with hot pork sausage seasoning . It's a pre mix , but it's just salt , pepper , sage and red pepper flakes .

Looks good. No suggestions for you though.

Warren
I've been making what we call Hipshot burgers for about 15 years now, 60% beef, 40% porkbutt, and some other stuff. I buy the porkbutt when it's 99¢lb, the beef @ $2.49lb, do the math. We like these burgers better than straight ribeye run thru my grinder, the SPC makes them really juicy. Check it out and see if it's something that might work for you, we love 'em. RAY

I've posted this many times, but our favorite for a long time has been the following:
50% Venison
25% Pork Butt
25% Beef (80-20)
Mix & add 3 TBS Worcestershire per pound of Meat.

Soon we might have to drop the Deer Meat, if the Wasting Disease gets into our Counties hunted. Then I'll be going back to my old recipe of 50% Beef & 50% Pork.

Bear
Common here but don't think they are elsewhere. Brat burgers. Serve with mustard and sliced onion.

One tip I picked up here is that canadian steak seasoning might work even better on pork than beef. Bet it would work great for pork burgers but have not done it myself. I went to a real high end steak joint once with 4 buds, 3 of us rock steaks but one bud does a chop. We all agreed the chop was better and 99% sure it was brined in CSS. I tried replicating and came VERY close: I rubbed a loin with CSS, SV'd, cut into thick chops, cooled and rested a few days. Fired up the grill and gave em a quick sear. Honestly, probably better than steak.

Last tip, if you use a good jerk seasoning, jerk pork tastes dang close to steak. Jerk burgers... Sounds like a hit to me.
You like Asian Flavors? Made Korean Pork Patties last night. They were great. Even well done they were Super Juicy! These were 2 bite Chicken Fried Patties but, would be great on the grill...JJ

Korean Pork Patties

1T Minced Carrot
1T Minced Scallion
1T Minced Garlic
1T Minced Ginger
3T Brn Sugar
3T Oyster Sauce
5th Fish Sauce
1tsp White Pepper
1tsp Sesame Oil

Combine all and mix thoroughly. Form Golf Ball sized portions, flatten and dip in flour, Egg, flour. Fry till Golden Brown. Can also form 4-6 oz Burgers and Char Grill.

Dipping Sauce

1/4C Sugar
1/4C Soy Sauce
1/4C Rice Vinegar
1/2C Water
1T Oyster Sauce
1T Fish Sauce
1T Minced Scallion
2tsp Minced Ginger
1tsp Pressed Garlic
1/2tsp Grnd Wht Pepper

Don't fear the Fish and Oyster Sauce. The Patties don't have a Fishy flavor but are Umami Rich. The Tofu gets well drained and mashed. It virtually disappears but holds moisture and flavor.

BTW...Add the Dipping Sauce to Shredded Cabbage, Carrot, Diced Scallion and Cilantro (If you like it) for a tasty Asian Slaw to top Korean Burgers.
View attachment 446316
I have bulk Farm and Lukainka sausage that is mild enough to make great pork burgers. and you can put together a quick sausage-like seasoning to make unique pork burgers. But I do have garlic pepper seasonings on hand that I often use for pork or beef burgers, grilled chops, etc. These are easy to make and you can tickle the amounts to dial in the flavor you like.

thirdeye's Sweet Garlic Pepper Seasoning for Pork
Ingredients:
3 teaspoons Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Brown Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoon Canning Salt
1/4 teaspoon Paprika
1/2 teaspoon Red Bell Pepper (ground)

thirdeye's All-Purpose Garlic Pepper Seasoning
Ingredients:
3 teaspoons Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Canning Salt
1/4 teaspoon Paprika
Pork burger looks good Ishi. There's a lot of good info and recipes already. You could really change the meal up with different condiments and toppings.

I really like grilled pineapple with pork. Pair it up with some pepper and onion and you have a tasty burger.
I make mine with hot pork sausage seasoning . It's a pre mix , but it's just salt , pepper , sage and red pepper flakes .
Ishi Ishi , I guess you could call it lazy, but I like using a simple taco seasoning mix for something like this.
Lots of great info!! Thanks everyone and I’m anxious to try them!

Korean Pork Patties

1T Minced Carrot
1T Minced Scallion
1T Minced Garlic
1T Minced Ginger
3T Brn Sugar
3T Oyster Sauce
5th Fish Sauce
1tsp White Pepper
1tsp Sesame Oil

Dipping Sauce

1/4C Sugar
1/4C Soy Sauce
1/4C Rice Vinegar
1/2C Water
1T Oyster Sauce
1T Fish Sauce
1T Minced Scallion
2tsp Minced Ginger
1tsp Pressed Garlic
1/2tsp Grnd Wht Pepper

Wow, that does sound tasty. I am the only one in the family that likes tofu ... can’t wait to make this clandestinely and see their reaction before I tell them :emoji_astonished:

All you see is tiny white specks, depending on the effort you put in to mashing the tofu. It adds no flavor but makes the Patties tender and moist. I plan on adding Tofu to regular beef Hamburgers. My family are not Tofu fans either and nobody said a word about it being in the patties...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky