Pork Belly 2 kinds

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

bakerman

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 19, 2011
First attempt at pork belly burnt ends this past weekend. One traditional, the other Chinese influenced.
The Chinese style (Char Sui) was the favorite. The traditional was really good as well.
Smoked with apple and cherry @ 250degrees for 3 hours. Sauced and covered for additional 90 minutes. Put in oven for 30 minutes @350degrees.
Rested for 15 minutes. Tender, rich, savory, sweet, melt in your mouth wonderfulness. I will do them again.

Learned 2 important things: More charcoal and higher heat. Next time full ring of lump and temp up to 275 -300 degrees.

Here's some pix.

Attachments

• Start.jpg
    Start.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 32
  • BBQ Burnt Ends.jpg
    BBQ Burnt Ends.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Char Sui.jpg
    Char Sui.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 34
  • finish.jpg
    finish.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 34

bakerman

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 19, 2011
Thanks! I was not happy at first check. Looked like it wasn't cooking, almost raw. Once I figured out my mistake it went fine. But I had to finish in the oven at 350 degrees. The Chinese Char Sui was really good. I will make this again.

Reactions: WI Smoker77

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
I love those things, but they are so rich you just can’t eat a ton of them. But yours look good enough to give it a try!
Nice job!
Al

Reactions: bakerman

bakerman

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 19, 2011
Thanks Jake and Al. They are rich, I still have a few in the fridge. Pig Candy for certain.

Latest posts

Hot Threads