Pork & Beef Swords

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

walle

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 21, 2009
Fruita, Colorado
Afternoon!
Hope everyone had a GREAT Christmas.

The Mrs.'s oven baked our turkey this Christmas so today is my turn!

I thawed out two of our beef roasts and three pork roasts and sliced them like spares - some of them were long enough to be swords... so I went with that.

Score #1 - vacuum marinater from my brother-in-law.
Using to marinade the beef swords in a mixture of ~ 1/8 C Yoshida's, 2 squeezed oranges, and a squirt of italian.

After marinading since Christmas eve, I finished them off with one of my up and coming favorites I found at Sam's - Canadian Steak seasoning.

On to the pork!
Again testing out some Yoshida's. 1/3 cup Yosh, 1/2 cup soy sauce, 6oz can of pinapple juice, squirt of italian. Marinated the same length of time, then tossed with a 1/2 cup of rub and a good shake of garlic salt.

In to the smoker at 225.

Score #2 - from my back door neighbor! I guess I've borrowed it so much, he figured it needed a good home. Old Rival SS slicer. Guess all that BBQ across the fence paid off!

Finally, a little sweetner for the Joe - Man, do I ever like this on a cold morning!

Hope you enjoy, I know I've been enjoying all of the awesome posts this week.
Thanks for checking out my Pork and Beef "Swords".
Tracey

What I like most about SMF is the variety of ideas that pop up. What a great idea. Looks excellent. Been a long time Yoshida's user. Goes great as a sauce for all types of stir fry as well.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

And that's a wrap

Overall, both beef and pork were good.
RE: Yoshidas, if I use it on beef (left) again, it will be a light rub before I begin, not as a marinade base. Was VERY good with the pork (right). Definitely adds a good color.

Thanks for checking out my post.
Tracey

Everythig looks good and I'm glad you like them too. You say that the pork was better then the beef. I really like the smoke rings that you got on the meat.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Mballi, I had just bought my first Yoshida and had to test it out.
IMHO the Yoshida melded better with the pork than it did the beef, but then again I did marinate both with a small amount of Yosh for almost two days.

There were some SMF posts last week asking if it should be used on beef, and since I had never tried it, I'm just sharing my results.

I can't wait to try it on chicken and shrimp and stir fry and...
icon_smile.gif

Just realized my Score #2 picture didn't make it!
Here it is.

Thanks for checking out my post.
Tracey

Great looking eats! I like the sound of your marinades. :)
Congratulations on the new smoker too.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Thanks, mike!

Thanks Cowgirl!

Adding in a dish I put together today out of the leftover beef swords -
Swiss Steak. I think this is a fairly common dish, if not you have to try this. Normally we use a beef round steak or deer or elk, but with all of the left over beef from yesterday, I cubed it and tossed it it - the smoke and marinade from yesterday's cook definitely took this dish up a notch - indiscribable taste of goodness!

Swiss Steak:
1.) Lightly flour meat and brown it in hot oil - not looking to cook, just going for brown. (skipped this step today).
Place browned meat in crock pot.
2.) In same pan, saute one onion and one bell pepper until onion is clear.
3.) Add one can cream of mushroom condensed soup, one small can of tomato sauce. Fill each can with water, add to onions and peppers.
Heat until all ingredients are mixed well, pour over meat.
Cook on low heat for 8 - 10 hours.
Season to tast if needed with what ever you like (S&P, garlic, etc.)
If the gravy is too thick, thin with milk.

Serve with bread and mashed potatoes - the gravy off of Swiss Steak is outta this world.

Thanks for checking out all of my posts and my leftovers!
Tracey

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky