Pork and Beef in the same smoker????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xtexan

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Columbus,OH
I need some help here guys....
I am fully aware of the potential for cross contamination in different meats. I know not to let pork drip on beef and vice versa. My question is: Is it ok to have pork and beef in the same smoke chamber as long as they are not over one another or touching? They will be about a foot apart in the BIG smoker. Can they cross contaminate just from being this close to each other or will I be OK?

Thanks,

Will

I'm going to throw this out there and possible have someone correct me (that's how I learn....humility!). I don't think it would hurt even if it was overlapping. As long as each meat reaches it's own safe temperature. Pro's....is this correct?

At the last four KCBS Contests that I have competed in I've cooked both my butt and brisket in the same smoker next to each other with no problems.
As far as cross contamination, I'm not an expert but as long as itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s cooking and not coming off the smoker raw there is very little if any concern for cross contamination with the heat and cooking chamber killing the bacteria and concerns you would have.

I would be more worried of this if you were trimming your pork butt and then cleaned your brisket on the same cutting board without sanitizing between the two, THEN you would have a potential for cross contamination. Hope this helps.

I do several different meats at a time in my horizontal pit, haven't had a problem.
A lot of larger pits have shelves that revolve, the meat drips down on each other as they rotate.

Bro, you got enough room on that pit to do a WHOLE hog and cow without touching!!
eek.gif

Nothing wrong with pork n beef together, in fact, i'll try and putt pork above my brisket's for a lil extra auto basting!!
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

Just never have the chicken dripping on anything, we too have had all 4 meat's in the smoker at the same time, no prob's............
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

Will,

No worries, friend. I've smoked multiple meats very often with no problems. Use probe thermos to monitor your temps individually and pull when the target is reached. The only precaution of note is in a verticle smoker like my GOSM, is to make sure chicken or other poultry is on the lowest shelf so it doesn't drip on your other foods. So, in short, go for it! you're gonna be just fine.

Cheers,
Brian

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky