Pork and beef and turkey - oh my! (QVIEW HEAVY!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

maverick

Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
SE South Dakota
This is my first attempt at QVIEW -- so here it goes....

I did this smoke about a month and 1/2 ago, and just found the pictures on my phone.  It had been a couple of months since I had last smoked anything, so I had a pretty big itch that I needed to scratch.  I went to the grocery store and brought home a 7.75# pork butt, a 3# bottom-round beef roast, and an 8# bone-in turkey breast.

On with the QVIEW!

50a2719c_2010-10-22_20-56-04_955.jpg

Bottom round roast lathered with thick wort. sauce and covered with McCormick's GrillMates Montreal Steak Seasoning), covered with saran wrap and left to rest overnight in the fridge 

6ccf540e_2010-10-22_21-11-18_960.jpg

Turkey breast chilling in a brine/cure mix (High Mountain Seasoning) and left to rest overnight in the fridge

7e207f14_2010-10-22_21-23-16_130.jpg

Pork butt lathered with yellow mustard and my own pork rub seasoning), covered with saran wrap and left to rest overnight in the fridge

545b15b3_2010-10-23_08-39-21_596.jpg

Turkey breast out of the brine, dried off, seasoned with some other store-bought poultry seasoning, and spritzed with some canola oil

cafef1c0_2010-10-23_11-12-52_92.jpg

All the kids in the pool!

dc2403b2_2010-10-23_13-13-02_169.jpg

Roast beef - money shot #1

e67cd41b_2010-10-24_11-46-32_276.jpg

Roast beef - money shot #2 - sliced deli-style for sammies!

564e2d90_2010-10-23_15-32-55_227.jpg

Turkey breast - money shot #1

7f659457_2010-10-24_12-19-25_725.jpg

Turkey breast - money shot #2 - sliced thin for sammies!

bbaa5c86_2010-10-23_20-19-42_547.jpg

Pork butt - money shot #1

575a7959_2010-10-23_22-09-34_874.jpg

Pulled pork - money shot #1

30826f09_2010-10-23_22-09-53_207.jpg

Pulled pork - money shot #2

Overall, I was most excited on how the roast beef turned out...I will definately do that again!  Also, the turkey turned out well...but next time, I am doing a full bird, not just the breast.  I wasn't the happiest with with pulled pork...I had done a couple of other butts prior to this that turned out better.  I changed up how I smoked this one just to see what would happen, and I wasn't completely happy with the results.  Next time, I'm going back to the old way.

Thanks for looking!

It ALL looks great from my chair!

How about a little more info on the butt?

What did you do different and why is the older way better?

Never to much info.

Can't tell what you did wrong or right, without knowing the times & temps, but everything certainly looks good from here too.

Bear

The pulled pork was fine....just not up to my unusually high expectations of myself
icon_smile.gif

This was the first time that I used mustard on the butt, as well as not foiling the butt throughout the smoke...I just took it up to 205* then FTC'd for an hour.  The result was a tougher bark than my wife and I prefer, as well as the meat being a little dryer.  The first time I did PP, I just used rub on the outside, and injected with a water/apple juice/rub mixture, then foiled at 165*.  The next time, I skipped the injection, but still foiled at 165*.  This time, I changed 2 things (I know I know...only change 1 thing at a time), so I'm not sure if it was the mustard, or the lack of foil, or both.  I think the mustard may have added to the increased bark, but the no foiling definately would have caused a harder bark as well as a little dryer meat.

The next butt I do will be mustard+rub+foil at 165* (no injection) and we'll see how it turns out.

The pulled pork was fine....just not up to my unusually high expectations of myself
icon_smile.gif

This was the first time that I used mustard on the butt, as well as not foiling the butt throughout the smoke...I just took it up to 205* then FTC'd for an hour.  The result was a tougher bark than my wife and I prefer, as well as the meat being a little dryer.  The first time I did PP, I just used rub on the outside, and injected with a water/apple juice/rub mixture, then foiled at 165*.  The next time, I skipped the injection, but still foiled at 165*.  This time, I changed 2 things (I know I know...only change 1 thing at a time), so I'm not sure if it was the mustard, or the lack of foil, or both.  I think the mustard may have added to the increased bark, but the no foiling definately would have caused a harder bark as well as a little dryer meat.

The next butt I do will be mustard+rub+foil at 165* (no injection) and we'll see how it turns out.
That's the way I do it. It's good you're experimenting. You're liable to find the perfect way for you.

Bear

YUM! looks good from here. Hoping to get a butt and 2 rounds into the smoker this weekend - thanks for reminding me about the worchestershire. Think I'll mix it with a little dijon and minced garlic, then the dry spices. That's the prettiest turkey breast I've seen yet! How long did it take and what temp?  Thanks for the q-view!

It all looks great !!!!! Are those cell phone pics if so what kinda phone ? Thanks
Motorola Droid 2 from Verizon Wireless -- it has a 5 megapixel camera.

YUM! looks good from here. Hoping to get a butt and 2 rounds into the smoker this weekend - thanks for reminding me about the worchestershire. Think I'll mix it with a little dijon and minced garlic, then the dry spices. That's the prettiest turkey breast I've seen yet! How long did it take and what temp?  Thanks for the q-view!
I don't remember how long it took (I can't even really provide a good guess).  I was running my MES 30 at 225* and took the breast to 160* IT before I pulled it and covered in foil so that carryover took it to 165* IT.

I also took some of the rub and applied it under the skin, directly on the breast meat.

icon_cool.gif

It all looks great to me here. I like the roast beef sammie. You just can't beat-um.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky