Porcelain Wok Basket? Can you use them?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

realtorterry

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 5, 2009
Bullhead City, AZ
Alright guys I can smoke, but I'm not very capable of knowing my way around a garage, or metals, just plain not very handy. I just bought a wok basket to use as a charcoal basket for my new Brinkmann. I just realized it says porcelain coated. My question is, will this be able to handle the high heat. Will I need to pre burn this? Can I just go with it?

So, my best guess is it's "Made In China"....Correct?

These are the same people who use lead paint on kids toys.

If it's cheap enough, I would burn off the coating, or spend a few bucks more and get a stainless basket.

Todd

It may, or it may not. It all depends an how thick the porcelain coating is. Worst case, the high heat of the charcoal may cause the porcelain to crack & chip and expose bare metal. Either way you're good to go. There is no harm in using a porcelain coated basket. 

Alright guys I can smoke, but I'm not very capable of knowing my way around a garage, or metals, just plain not very handy. I just bought a wok basket to use as a charcoal basket for my new Brinkmann. I just realized it says porcelain coated. My question is, will this be able to handle the high heat. Will I need to pre burn this? Can I just go with it?

Since you already bought it, either give it a shot, or like Todd say's take it back & get a stainless one.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky