poor smoke in gosm at low temps

Discussion in 'Propane Smokers' started by sparky30_06, Feb 4, 2008.

1. When I was smoking some jerky the other week I had a really hard time getting the chips to smoke. I ended up taking the rack that holds the wood chip pan and flipping it over to get it down on the flame. anyone else do anything different???

2. bassman

bassman Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

If you use a foil pan for the chips, you don't need as much flame to get the smoke.

3. walking dude

walking dude Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

what are you using for a smoker?

in my propane, i took the chip pan outta the racks and put right on top of the flame..........it werked then

4. you might want to find a pan that you can put in there as a test and drill some holes on the side of the smoke box. or when doing low temp smokes like jerky i have to turn my flame down all the way and then even adjust the bottle itself down all the way to hold low temp 150 deg. before i installed temp controll system if i wanted to relight smoke box i would simply open up door about 3 inches and turn burner on full high leave set for about 10-15 min adjusting door accordingly to temps open more too hot and close a little if too cold. then turn burner down to low again and close the door this was the way that i did it before. hope this post was helpfull