Poor Man's Surf And Turf W/Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ronp

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 27, 2008
The start, this is from a Prime that I bought at Christmas for cheap like a 14 pounder for 35 dollars. I picked up some shrimp from a Sam's demo for 3.50 for 16.

I salted it down for about 1 hour and 1/2. Then rinsed well and put CBP and lemon pepper and granulated garlic.

I then seared it in the oven at 500'.

Out of the smoker, at 125'.

Oh, man.

I had to have a taste.

Reheated for Carol tonight, just steamed it for about 10 minutes.

It came out med rare for her, perfect, lots of raves from her.

Thanks for watching.

Nice job Ron. It's nice when someone appreciates what you cook for them.
biggrin.gif

Good looking prime, Ron. It's 5:30 in the morning here and I'm thinking a slab of prime rib with eggs!
biggrin.gif

I used to push a big display in the meat case of Poor Man's Surf and Turf - Eye of the Round Cube Steaks with fillets of Monk Fish (when boiled for about ½ minute then broiled until light brown with garlic butter on it you'd swear it's lobster!).

Looks really great! We use a cheap Rice/vegetable steamer to re-heat a lot of things as well. Works out perfectly.

Ron you eat well, Not to mention on the cheap...you get more bargains that anyone I know, and turn out some mighty good looking chow. Now that is the way to do it!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

BBQ Eng.

Hey Pops, I used monk fish at the restaurant on occasion with a 5 oz. tenderloin for specials. Yum.

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

Good stuff and not that expensive, I recommend it for anyone who is a seafood lover to try it. Just trim off the purplish colored membrane on it first, cut into 1 - 1½" wide chunks, drop into boiling water, count to 20 and scoop out (they go in pink and ½" thick, come out pure white and about 1½" thick, they puff up like crazy!) and put on a broiler pan and broil with butter on them until golden brown (8-10 min) - then dip in clarified butter like you would lobster! Close your eyes and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky