Poll do you foil your ribs & butts???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Do you foil your ribs and butts or not?

• I foil both my ribs and my butts.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I foil by ribs but not my butts.

• I foil my butts but not my ribs.

• I don't foil my ribs or my butts.

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 18, 2007
West Fargo, ND / Northern MN
Well there were a few of us talking on one of the rib posts and we are wondering how many people foil vs not foil their ribs and butts. Hopefully this hasn't already been done if so sorry. I tried to search for one but didn't find anything. I'm not trying to debate which is better as there is no right or wrong way its all up to your personal preference.

Couldn't really vote proper because I almost always foil my butts and with ribs I only foil 50% of the time because I like how they come out both ways.
With a butt though I really like the juices that collect when foiled and they are wonderful to add back into the meat.

thanks for posting the poll, I wasnt sure if it had been done before.

For ribs I started doing them with no foil, then tried foiling, and am now back to not foiling to stay. I prefer to leave the ribs in the smoke the whole time. Makes for a firmer rib with a better bark, and more tug to the meat imho.

For butts I foil once the butt has reached around 200 degrees & I take it off the WSM, & then toss it in a cooler foiled. I have never tried foiling a butt, and most likely wont. I have heard it speeds up the stall, and makes them get done faster. I am not interested in either of these things, whats a couple more hours in the smoke imho.

With the above said, there is no right or wrong answer or method in regards to this. Different strokes imho..
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I have tried my ribs with foil and without and I really prefer the foiled ones. They are nice and tender yet still have that nice little tug on them. Now as for my butts I have only ever done them in foiled after 160 and take them to 200-205. But the last couple of gotten a little bit mushy inside so I plan on trying one without foil the next time I make some pulled pork so I can see what it is like both ways. I will also try and pull it out around 195 to see if that cuts down on the mushy part.

I used to use foil when I first started out but now I don't.

I started out foiling spares and butts on a char-griller w/sfb, to many holes where temperature would be lost. It is For Sale. cheap.

Upgraded to 22.5 WSM, from here on I use no foil on spares and butt's, I do spritz every couple of hours.

I foil my butts at 165, but I don't foil ribs in the traditional sense. I foil my ribs at the very end when I rest them in the cooler for 30-60 minutes, but they are not foiled in the smoker.

not a pro like you guys, bot i always foil and add juice and spice at that time to keep it moist and add a little more flavor. it also seems to me that most of the smoke absorbsion occurs during the first couple hours of the smoke before the crust starts to form. so why not foil and get some more juice?

I have done ribs both ways, and I no longer foil ribs.

I guess it is a matter of personal preference.

Someone in an another reply mentioned, firm meat!

That is what I like!! I like the rib to be tender, but have some firmness to it!!

I want to take a firm/tender bite, and have the meat stay on the bone!!

To me, ribs that have been foiled are tender, but the meat is just kinda mushy so to speak!!

Again, I want them tender, but want to have to chew just a little!!!
icon_mrgreen.gif

I dont want them to melt in my mouth!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky