points vs. flats

Discussion in 'Beef' started by smoke freak, May 2, 2008.

1. smoke freak

smoke freak StickBurners

OK Im sure some of ya are gonna say "what a [email protected]$$!" Me and briskets... not so much. Were talkin corned beef briskets now. Got 2 points and 2 flats in the freezer. Plannin on pastrami later in the week. Which is gonna do me best? I know ya'll aint gonna steer me wrong.

2. white cloud

white cloud Master of the Pit OTBS Member

In my own opinion and from what I have learned here, I would use the flat for pastrami. The point is a much fattier section of the cut, and athough is very good smoked and sliced removing the fat of course. But for a lunch meat slice I would use the flat. I only have done one fresh brisket so far, and corned the flat and smoked the point. I have in the past smoked a precorned/brined/cured point and it was way too salty because I had not soaked beforehand.

3. dutch

dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Smoke Freak- White Cloud hit the nail on the head. You want to use the meat that has the least amount of fat on/in it and that would be the flat.

Read up on the pastrami threads, remember to soak/rinse the to remove the excess salt and if you are going to use any kind of a rub, reduce or eleminate the salt. You just removed the excess salt so you don't want to add any more salt to the finished product.

4. smoke freak

smoke freak StickBurners

Thanx guys for settin me straight. First pastrami and I want it to be the best.

5. white cloud

white cloud Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I forgot to add the fact that after a soaking and rinsing period, take a small slice off and fry it up to get it just the way you like it. I did that with my flat i corned. And allways do this when sausage making to adjust the seasoning perfectly.