Point vs. Flat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kryinggame

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Hey gang,  I still here struggling with briskets.  I don't know why I'm not getting it. 

Pork butt, pork ribs, london broil, turkey legs, turkey wings, turkey legs, chicken, pork loin--I rock in those areas.

But dang brisket, I can't do it. 

Anyway, folks with serious experience, if you didn't cook a full packer but had to choose a flat or a point, which would you choose and why?

I'm talking about brisket to slice, not pull nor burnt ends.

I'm here watching BBQ Pitmasters and have fallen in love, again with brisket.

Thanks!

i normally slice the flat and pull the point. more times than most ill just cut thick portions of the point and serve with sliced flat.. wish a whole brisket was nothing but point...the fat content in the point makes it soo amazing....as a matter of fact im having the last of the point today for lunch. lol.

I've smoked whole packers, flats and points. Unless there's a good fat cap on a flat, it can have a tendency to dry out (that's where Chef Jimmy's Smokey Au Jus comes in handy). I've smoked a couple points just for slicing and they were fantastic! I'd smoke a point for slicing any day of the week. 

I've smoked whole packers, flats and points. Unless there's a good fat cap on a flat, it can have a tendency to dry out (that's where Chef Jimmy's Smokey Au Jus comes in handy). I've smoked a couple points just for slicing and they were fantastic! I'd smoke a point for slicing any day of the week. 
HERE HERE!! ill smoke to that!

I agree on the point ....in fact I like them so much I don't make burnt ends anymore because it is like prime rib !! Here is a point I did last week .... I'm brining the rest of the flat for pastrami...

Wow, that's beautiful!!!

My local Costco only sells flats (and they're really thin and expensive).  My local Walmart sells either huge full packers or from time to time, points.  Generally, I'm smoking for me and my girl so a 14lbs packer is over kill.  And, until I get confident in brisket, I'm not going to serve it to any friends.  Wow, I can't stop staring at that picture.  that is a beautifully cooked piece of meat.

Now I've seen packer briskets, and brisket flats, but I've never seen brisket points sold in the store. Do they sell them as a different cut such as a "so and so" roast? I've only done a couple packers and the jury is still out on which part I like better, to be honest I would have to answer the question "which part of the brisket do you prefer?" Any part thats not part of one I smoked.

Now I've seen packer briskets, and brisket flats, but I've never seen brisket points sold in the store. Do they sell them as a different cut such as a "so and so" roast? I've only done a couple packers and the jury is still out on which part I like better, to be honest I would have to answer the question "which part of the brisket do you prefer?" Any part thats not part of one I smoked.
How is this useful? If you're not going to answer the simple question, please don't contribute.

I like you...find mine at Costco and have only done flats. Can't find "points" here. The whole packer thing is just a bit pricey for my budget. I will be different...and say flats.Kat

I like you...find mine at Costco and have only done flats. Can't find "points" here. The whole packer thing is just a bit pricey for my budget. I will be different...and say flats.Kat
In Charlotte, Costco sells quality meat but I'm disappointed with the small cuts of flat that they sell. The flat incredibly thin (and flat) with a huge price attached to it. There are a few butchers in town but what they're asking for a brisket is a crime. I called one so-called specialty butcher shop and was told that the briskets are $2.99 a pound. I get there adn it was more like $6.99 a pound. I'm not accusing the shop of lying in order to make a sale but the difference of $4.00 a pound is to much money to experiment with.

I am still "working" on my technique for them.  So I totally agree.  Too expensive a cut of meat to just "play with".  The last 2 I did were great....or folks said they were.  Have a still tweak it a little bit for my satisfaction on them.

What I am angry about with Costco...is they are no longer selling bone in butts.  Only boneless ones.

Kat

I am still "working" on my technique for them.  So I totally agree.  Too expensive a cut of meat to just "play with".  The last 2 I did were great....or folks said they were.  Have a still tweak it a little bit for my satisfaction on them.

What I am angry about with Costco...is they are no longer selling bone in butts.  Only boneless ones.

Kat
I agree about the butts. My local Costco only sells boneless. I learned on bone-in and never tried boneless. Surprisingly, the boneless comes, 2 in a pack, they look very good and the price is reasonable. But I don't want to step away from something that I've perfected.

How is this useful? If you're not going to answer the simple question, please don't contribute.
Wow! Kinda harsh doncha think?

As for the original question, I'd have to say I, like others have pointed out, much prefer the point. I've neither the time nor the patience to screw around with flats anymore. Even when they're supposedly perfect, I'm just not a fan. At best the meat from the flat is mealy. At worst it tastes to me like mealy, dried out, tough pot roast. The point, on the other hand, has the internal marbling to be tender and juicy.

I like you...find mine at Costco and have only done flats. Can't find "points" here. The whole packer thing is just a bit pricey for my budget. I will be different...and say flats. Kat
I have consistently found good packers at Albertson's.  Occasionally Kroger/Fry's has some on sale.  I just got two (12 # and 10#) packers at Fry's (the Arizona version of a Kroger) for $2.29/lb.

I've seen flats at several places, but never points  though if they are cutting flats, they have to be doing something with the points - probably ask the butcher?

I've always got good slices from the point myself.

police2.gif

So I live in NorCal and unlike Texas , grocery stores only carry flats period, even Costco .... However whole packers can be found at ...Costco Business Center (diff than their reg store ) Restaurant Depot (free passes if you join KCBS) and also Smart &Final where I get most of my briskets because they are closest ... And I like the 13-16 lb range
As far as price $2.30 lb which makes it cheaper than most beef I can buy ... I'm single with a housemate...I freeze a good part of it ... Buy a vacuum sealer !!
I like cutting off the points and doing briskets with the flat ... The flat from the pic I posted is coming out of the brine thurs and on to the smoke on Friday. I've never seen a point sold seperate... 1 chop of the knife cures that !!!
Don't be afraid to try it .... They cook fairly fast in the 9-10 hour range for me .. And I've never had a bad one , only better than the last !!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky