point or flat for pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am waiting to see the response on this one. I would guess the flat since it is more uniform in size. At least that was what I was planning on, but now I got to wait to see what shows up here.

Someone with more experience should be chiming in soon.

I just picked up 5 points today for 1.49 a pound. I'll be getting more before they run out. This is when I fill my freezer. I wont need any more till St. Patty's 2011.

Like Willy said both will work but if you are planning one or the other I would say go with the flat.
As said the point has a lot of fat in it (very tasty though) and the flat is more what you would expect from pastrami and is also a lot leaner.
Also remember when cooking pastrami you don't need to bring all the way to 190 like you do with a regular brisket to achieve the same level of tenderness, the cure has helped to tenderize the meat already. I like to bring mine to 170 then let it rest a bit or for an even moister tastier treat cool and refrigerate overnight then reheat with steam the next day. You won't believe what a few hours in some steam does for it, sooooo good.
That's the way they do them in the better establishments in NYC.

After you get a few under your belt try curing your own beef then smoking it into pastrami.

Thanks guys, I bought a flat today and will try my first pastrami on Saturday. Will try to post some q view. Andy

Just picked up 5 flats today at the local Albertsons for .97 lb
This was a really lucky find as it is the only day I have been home in the last 4 weeks - Leaving tomorrow for Phoenix

I know where I'm headed tomorrow, great score!
icon_smile.gif

Both work just fine to me there abokol. I have used both pieces but I would seperate them before you slice them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky