POG(ged) huli huli on the mini pit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

welshrarebit

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Feb 20, 2014
Kona, Hawaii
Today I finally got my mini huli huli pit fired up! I used kiawe lump with some recycled KBB as my fuel. I marinated it in soy, brown sugar, fresh chopped ginger, chopped garlic, sriracha and POG. What's POG you ask? Pepper, onion and garlic? Nope, it's passion, orange and guava...

I figure the original recipe was basically teriyaki with pineapple juice I'll sub out the pineapple with POG.

I don't know how to start a thread on tapatalk and it's almost impossible to download a photo from my phone so I'm switching over to tapatalk for Qview..,

Edit: this is a 40 qt VMI tamale pot. I was worried that with the rotisserie it might be unstable so I used a couple of turnbuckles and tie wired the bottom handle to the pot's handles. This was probably overkill but I didn't want a huli maka huli (slang here for epic fail)!

Last edited:
The marinade...

bb706e8efc4e396c3dc78a80d000388f.jpg

Going in... I originally put two kiawe chunks in but they kept flaring up when I took off the lid so after about an hour they were taken out.

0dcd2413aba735f9f637ebbc4c55405c.jpg

The set up. I wanted temps to be over 300 and needed the lid on to do this. Temps averaged 340 for the cook.

c779f0b83d3a2aed91eca3245fc9d21d.jpg

One hour in..,

0142da60275937a756deab461ae6c2d1.jpg

Flippy, flippy...

0ed722f9424ea00911d6f2c5e3f89ed1.jpg

Almost there...

05e7acf3b5277c0cff660d5e645724c8.jpg

TBS baby! Notice the built in tong holder? ;)

22f740cadccc236797de873be717ea14.jpg

Done! Kitchen smells amazing.

75fb3b4b45210a5c095271f48a94b736.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nice looking POG Huli Huli Bird! I love POG! Used to be able to get it here in the carton but now all we can find is the frozen concentrate. I've used it when poaching fish before but not other meats.

Looks great! Have you posted anything more on the rotisserie! That looks like something I would like to do with my mini.

Welshrarebit That looks great is the color from that wood? as for the pot what is the diameter of it, I have an 18.5 Masterbuilt, that is why I am asking TIA

Yeah more on the flippy flippy device! I have found one that I think will work, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Tropics the mini WSM pots are 14"+/-.

Looks great! Have you posted anything more on the rotisserie! That looks like something I would like to do with my mini.

It's a weber rotisserie. I had it on my gasser. The build is real simple you only need to dril four holes and attach the lid to the pot and cut out a hole in the bottom. Then attach the rotisserie with a couple of bolts and you ready to huli...

Last edited:
Nice looking POG Huli Huli Bird! I love POG! Used to be able to get it here in the carton but now all we can find is the frozen concentrate. I've used it when poaching fish before but not other meats.

POG is good stuff! I should have dried the skin better but other than that it was fantastic!

Welshrarebit That looks great is the color from that wood? as for the pot what is the diameter of it, I have an 18.5 Masterbuilt, that is why I am asking TIA

I'm sure some of the color was from the soy and sugar but the charcoal prob helped as well...

There are guys that have done 18.5 builds and i think you'd need a 80 qt pot for that. Don't quote me on that but I think that's what it was.

I'm sure some of the color was from the soy and sugar but the charcoal prob helped as well...

There are guys that have done 18.5 builds and i think you'd need a 80 qt pot for that. Don't quote me on that but I think that's what it was.
Thanks I was just wondering

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky