• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Plum wood chunks

doug123

Meat Mopper
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 14, 2006
I recently bought some wood chunks and got a pound of plum.

I was thinking about using it to smoke a turkey breast this weekend.

I also have apple so I am undecided which to use.

I think I have heard that plum wood is good with turkey?

Has anyone done it? I figure I might go with the plum just to try it. Got to use it for something :D

Thanks

willkat98

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 11, 2005
I have not, but at the same time, I have always paired other fruit woods (apple, pear, cherry) with turkey with great results.

This was in the "Guide" in Dutch's post from the top of this forum:

SWEET FRUIT WOODS - APRICOT, PLUM, PEACH, NECTARINE - Great on most white or pink meats, including chicken, turkey, pork and fish. The flavor is milder and sweeter than hickory.

riz9

Smoke Blower
Joined Jul 12, 2006
Doug,

lately I have only used plum on everything. why, because my parents had me cut down a plum tree in their yard early this summer. Since it's dried out a bit and has been perfect on everything, and it's FREE. It's not nearly as strong as hickory or mesquite, and it's the only fruit wood I've used so I don't know how it stacks up against cherry and so on. But it has worked wonders for me. I haven't done turkey but chickens have turned out great so I say go for it!

cheech

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Dec 19, 2005
Send a sample over here and I will sample it for you.

Sounds like plum wood and turkey could be a great combination

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.