1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Plum wood chunks

Discussion in 'Woods for Smoking' started by doug123, Aug 24, 2006.

1. doug123

doug123 Meat Mopper OTBS Member

I recently bought some wood chunks and got a pound of plum.

I was thinking about using it to smoke a turkey breast this weekend.

I also have apple so I am undecided which to use.

I think I have heard that plum wood is good with turkey?

Has anyone done it? I figure I might go with the plum just to try it. Got to use it for something :D

Thanks

2. willkat98

willkat98 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I have not, but at the same time, I have always paired other fruit woods (apple, pear, cherry) with turkey with great results.

This was in the "Guide" in Dutch's post from the top of this forum:

SWEET FRUIT WOODS - APRICOT, PLUM, PEACH, NECTARINE - Great on most white or pink meats, including chicken, turkey, pork and fish. The flavor is milder and sweeter than hickory.

3. riz9

riz9 Smoke Blower

Doug,

lately I have only used plum on everything. why, because my parents had me cut down a plum tree in their yard early this summer. Since it's dried out a bit and has been perfect on everything, and it's FREE. It's not nearly as strong as hickory or mesquite, and it's the only fruit wood I've used so I don't know how it stacks up against cherry and so on. But it has worked wonders for me. I haven't done turkey but chickens have turned out great so I say go for it!

4. doug123

doug123 Meat Mopper OTBS Member

Thanks guys. Plum wood it is :D

5. cajunsmoker

cajunsmoker Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Be sure and tell us how it goes :D

6. cheech

cheech Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Send a sample over here and I will sample it for you.

Sounds like plum wood and turkey could be a great combination