Please help me, chicken smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wavector

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
I noticed after bringing a whole chicken overnight and then smoking it at a higher temp, I don' t get enough smoke flavor nor any real evidence that is had been smoked. Should I suffer the rubbery skin and go low and slow to achieve the ends I seek?

The drumsticks I did this weekend were better flavored that the whole bird I did.

I'm smoking a turkey breast this weekend so I would like to do it right.

Im gonna try something next bird I do. I figure I'll go at 'er hard 'till I hit the 140 or so, then back down to a low-slow. Thinking that will crisp up the skin, then add the more pronounced long smoked flavor. Don't see any health issues in this, do ya guys? Skin may soften back up a bit, but since most of the fat should be cooked out by then, probably not too bad.

Just a theory here, please do not construe as advice ;{)

Try smoking that bird at about 300°-350°. There is no reason to do a chicken "low & slow". The higher temp. will get the bird done and the skin won't be rubbery. The hickory should give plenty smoky flavor. Use chunks, not chips, if using a smoker other than a stick burner. And don't soak them.
Same for your turkey breast.

Perfect thread--
we have a chiken waiting for brining and smoking this weekend too.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

I cooked a chicken at 250 that had mayo and rub slathered on the outside of it. I ended up with a more-crispy-than-rubbery-skin that was pretty good.

I've done several chickens over the last couple of weeks. some done @ 250 and some done @ 300. All of them came out fine, then ones @ 300 i think were better. I use a lot of pecan though, Think the color is better with pecan

I do all my poultry 325 to 375 and it's always plenty smoky with hickory and whateverelse I through in there. I've even done it with pear and that's real mild.

Cherry and orange are real good on poultry too!

AJ - I'm gonna try that mayo thing come saturday! Someone at work (that doesn't smoke) suggested peanut butter but I think that might just melt off. I've done it in the oven though and it worked.

Hey Wavecter, I smoked 4 cornish game hens last Sunday and kept the temp 140-150 started at 10:45a until 5:45p. and kept them at the far end of the smoker, skin on, smoke went thru skin and in to the meat

Hey Allen...you are gonna wanna up that temp considerably! Those birds were WAAAY too long in the danger zone! Seriously, I would NEVER smoke an uncured bird at less than 225, and 250-300 is better.

Im not here to step on anyones toes but be aware of a few things and keep these in mind: As for cooking your bird at a higher temp, most pit bosses and folks who do this on a regular basis, say to make sure your temps are somewhere in the area of 250-300 degrees F. Remember that the internal temp of your bird to be safe should be approx 185 degrees F. Now as for the issiue of not tasting enough smoke you might try this; take some liquid smoke hickory flavor and mix it with apple juice, this will help with the taste. As for smoke penetration I always take a fork and stab the skin in different places for ease of penetration. Through my experience I use in the begining high heat with massive smoke for the first 2-3 hrs, chimney damper open slightly and ventdoor cracked. Keep a large water pan under your bird I do this while smoking it helps to keep the bird moist and the smoke to adhere. Then after those 3 hrs have past I remove my bird and wrap with heavy duty foil and reinsert into the pit/smoker and finish. Once the initial smoke has been done it wont absorb anymore, on the average you should get 1/8" to 1/4" of smoke ring, or pink meat at surface. Just some advice I go by, just make sure the internal temp is good thats the real key issue...

This letter is an apology, I smoked 4 cornish game hens Sunday 11/4/2007 and not paying attention this morning around 4:30-5:00am I replied to a post from wavecter about the temp I smoked my hens, now that it has been brought to my attention the birds were smoked at the temp of 240-250 for abought 7 hrs. I do apologize to wavecter and anyone else who read the reply. I do thank Richtee for noticing my mistake

I smoke mine, ( after brining ) for around 4 hrs. depending on size, using oak with a little maple thrown in, and I love rubbing the hens down with molases and dry rub.....I quit trying to time things and just keep the heat at 240-270 and hope for the best.....beers to ya !!!!!

Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m trying to learn the ropes of smoking.

My Smoker is a Char-Broil H2o Smoker (Similar to the ECB)

In your post you say “And donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t soak them†– Is this referring to Brining Chickens & Turkeys? If so, then why not brine them?

Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky