Please follow me on a Pastrami adventure from A to Deeeeelicious

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fire it up

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 24, 2009
South Jersey
Having done my fair share of bought corned beef smoked into pastrami I decided it was time to try my hand at curing a brisket into corned beef and then into pastrami all from scratch (plus corned beef is average $4.49lb here).

I searched and searched and decided on a pastrami to follow, it was the most involved so I figured why not give it a shot.

Link to the original page (thanks randyq, whoever you are)
http://www.randyq.addr.com/recipes/pastrami.htm
I won't go over every single step since it is listed on the webpage, but up until the final seasoning stages before smoking I followed the recipe pretty much exactly.

I started off by boiling some water, going to inject the brisket with a solution and I wanted the water to be clean. I then mixed up the ingredients to be injected into the brisket, I decided to see how the point would taste if instead of regular pastrami I tried to make a chipotle pastrami, so chipotle powder went in with the mixture on the right.

Had a 14# brisket that I nicknamed Alferd Packer. Those of you who live in Colorado should know the legend of Alferd Packer, or if you have seen the movie Cannibal! The Musical...

After I seperated the flat and point, trimmed all but about 1/4" of fat I injected them with all the cooled solution I could fit, seasoned them up (flat was by directions, point had chipotle rub added into cure mixture) then vacuum sealed, into the fridge for a week turning and massaging twice a day.

Was only planning on curing 5 days, the brisket had been sitting for 2 weeks, bad weather and my Brother had a tooth pulled, and I promised I wouldn't smoke this until he was able to try some, so a week later...

Out of the fridge, rinsed and made up another rub.

Before coating in the final rub I did the fry pan test and everything was good to go

Now here is where I went askiew of the directions and made my own rubs for the outside

Toasted 3T black pepper and 1T coriander, added with the remainder of rub #1 with 1 1/2t paprika, 1t garlic powder and 1 1/2t black mustard seed, split in half and added a few good shakes of chipotle rub to the points rub.
Rubbed them up and into the smoker over cherry and apple, 225 spritzing with apple juice every hour after the first hour. Took about 10 hours to come to 170, was shooting for a bit higher, about 180ish but it was around 7am and I was done.

Wrapped in a towel, rested for a few hours then into the fridge to rest for a day.
Next day out of the fridge and ready to steam (in a pan over low heat covered tightly with foil). Did the point for 45 minutes, should have gone a bit longer.

Steamed the flat for 2 1/2 hours and sliced

Grilled up some rye bread, tabasco spicy brown mustard, pickled onions and peppers with provolone and pepper jack cheese

It was definitely worth all the work, the chipotle pastrami was fantastic, made the regular taste plain in comparison so I think all my pastrami from now on will be chipotle. They were both incredible tender, the flat just melts in your mouth. I would have liked to bring them up to 180 or even 190 next time so the connective tissues will break down even more but for the flavor you can't buy something this good in the stores.

Thanks for checking out my first try at pastrami from scratch, sure won't be my last.

Oh................my.................that is one fantastic treat!

So many smokes I want to do...sometime soon, I'm hoping!

Thanks for this great qview!

Eric

Randy is one of a few that has come up with the mods for the ecb.
Couple of questions for ya in regards to the pastrami. I noticed in the recipe he (Randy) recommended an internal of 160-165 degrees but made no mention of the steaming process. How did you come up with that and is that your own invention? Sounds like a good idea.

I do the steaming because that is how Katz's Deli and many other places that sell pastrami hold them, they absorb the moisture and plump up when steamed and turn to almost butter, even if I am slicing them cold I will chill, then steam and chill again and slice.
I have found that it makes for a much more tender, juicy slice of meat.

Geez oh freakin ehh,,,now that looks awesome. Nice job on that. I can taste those sammies...
points.gif
points.gif
points.gif

Yessir, that's some fine looking pastrami! Great looking sammies too.

Completely AWESOME thread, FiU! Well done and definitely a "must make". Your chipotle injection and rub sound like just the ticket for some tasty out-of-the-ordinary pastrami, and you have earned points for your excellent tutorial. Way to go, bud!

Man oh man, that is awsome. Only thing that could be better is shaved on a slicer and stacked high.
points.gif
points.gif
points.gif

Thanks for the Qview. Too bad you don't have enough time to be nominated for the OTBS, you are deserving my friend.

Excellent job Fire! I really like the addition of the chipotle. Excellent play by play and photography!

Last spring, I found a chuck roast that had been hibernating in the freezer for way to long, and it looked freezer burned and nasty. I thawed that baby out, trimmed it until I had nice red meat, and then made a pastrami from scratch out of it...it was the best pastrami that I had ever had, and it originated from a piece of meat that I questioned salvaging. The steaming is a must for pastrami to make it nice and juicy. Points to you my friend!
points.gif

That was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everything look so good. I have copied and saved this tutorial, it is a must try!!!!!!!! You deserve more than points.

points.gif
points.gif
points.gif
points.gif

Great looking pastrami... The addition of the Chipotle sounds interesting.
points.gif

I was expecting someone from CO to get it before someone who had seen Cannibal
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

You do not think we are Indians? Look at all our teepees...

Just a quick F.Y.I
The movie was written by Trey Parker (creator of South Park) when he was in college and is based on true events.

My wife spent a lot of time in CO during her first marriage, and had heard the story quite a bit before we met. I turned her on to South Park, which in turn led her to discovering Cannibal! The Musical some time later. We must have watched that movie a 100 times by now. Shpadoinkle! STFU Swan!
icon_cool.gif

FIU, that was one of the best pastrami qviews I've seen. The whole process looked A+. That was some of the most juicy pastrami I've seen and no doubt you will not get better than what you can do at home. Points to you for a fantastic job.
points.gif

Good lord that is one fantastic job on the strami! This has been on my list for quite a while and you have just put me over the edge! One of the best smokes I've seen in a long time sir!
points.gif

That is awesome for sure. And Points are to follow. For sure this will get bookmarked. I've got to try one of these. I've got a deer roast that I was wanting to do based off one cowgirl did. But now I think this has moved to the top of the list.

Kudos to you man!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky