Plateau at 160°, my first flat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wavector

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Came out great. Thin blue smoke for five hours, vented off all the bad smoke. Mainly hot coals from seasoned hickory and some Pecan.

I did my first brisket Saturday and listened to the Auburn game on the radio. Smoked 6 ears of corn with husks on, many drumsticks, a brined whole chicken and eight potatoes for potato salad.

11-03-2007smoke005.png

Here's a wireless digital thermometer I picked up at Hudson's Treasure Hunt for $12. I still have to check accuracy though, because it said 200°F and my brisket wasn't quite done enough to pulling. It's was excellent though. I must tweek my dry rub recipe to include a bit more chili powder.

11-03-2007smoke012.png

11-03-2007smoke017.png

1/8" smoke ring on the top.
11-03-2007smoke022.png

My first flat. Three pounder smoked at 275-300°F for five hours to 200°F. Pulled and rested for two hours. Very good says the taste tester. I'm like what are you talking about, this is heaven. That stuff is excellent. Must try a whole packer next. Beef, is what's for dinner, for sure.

Congrats on the nice job! Boy, that's some smart thermometer. You poke the probe in and it tells you what the meat is? Heh... Why do they build that stuff into them? Does it give recommended temps for types of meat or what? It must have wanted to short out when it was reading 200 degrees for beef LOL! Eh, for 12 bux, who cares I guess, as long as it is accurate.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky