Planning new build - door seal methods

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

happy2meatu

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Salem, Oregon
I'm planning my first build.  I would like to see a thread with descriptions and pictures of how everyone fabricated their door seal methods.  My smoker will be an offset firebox style, haven't decided yet whether it will be standard or reverse flow.  I acquired some 20" x 3/16" tubing for the cook chamber and firebox.  I am planning everything out in CAD software, as that is also my occupation.  

For door seal, I'm thinking of bending some 1 1/2" x 3/16" flatbar to the inside radius of the tubing, so that way the lid will just close back to its original position.  However, I would like this thing to be as smoke-tight and heat-tight as possible, so thinking of a way to use some heat resistant rope seal around that.  Anyway, would like to see what others have done in one thread if possible.

Thanks in advance!

I used Fireblack34 gasket tape for mine and it works well.  Got more than I needed for my 3'x3' and 2'x2 doors for offset smoker for $22 on eBay.

Pictures of my build and a copy of the CAD drawing I worked with (friend is an architect) on my thread if it could be any help...

Patch

Reactions: happy2meatu

I'm planning my first build.  I would like to see a thread with descriptions and pictures of how everyone fabricated their door seal methods.  My smoker will be an offset firebox style, haven't decided yet whether it will be standard or reverse flow.  I acquired some 20" x 3/16" tubing for the cook chamber and firebox.  I am planning everything out in CAD software, as that is also my occupation.  

For door seal, I'm thinking of bending some 1 1/2" x 3/16" flatbar to the inside radius of the tubing, so that way the lid will just close back to its original position.  However, I would like this thing to be as smoke-tight and heat-tight as possible, so thinking of a way to use some heat resistant rope seal around that.  Anyway, would like to see what others have done in one thread if possible.

Thanks in advance!
Hi there.   I have CAD plans for my 20" smoker if you need them http://www.ahumadoras.com/productos/ahumadora-para-el-hogar/home-smoker-1200-x-500-mm/   uses Dave's numbers for the air intake for a cook chamber length of 1200mm.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky